TVB Invites Kent Tong to Film TVB Drama "The Hero"

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, May 28, 2014.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

[​IMG]

TVB’s upcoming period epic The Hero <梟雄> may call for the strongest cast ensemble in recent years. The drama’s producer, Amy Wong (王心慰), has recently confirmed that 1980s TVB star Kent Tong (湯鎮業) may return to film the 1930s period drama, which is slated to begin production in June 2014.

In a brief interview, Amy Wong said there is a “high possibility” for Kent Tong to return to TVB for the series, but details remain to be finalized. “There are still many things that haven’t been set in stone yet, so I don’t want to talk too much about it. The series hasn’t started filming yet so we can’t predict what will eventually happen [to the casting].” She declined to talk about Kent’s potential role. “I can’t reveal it yet,” she said.

In addition to Kent Tong, Film King Anthony Wong (黃秋生) and TV King Wayne Lai (黎耀祥) are also confirmed to take part in the series. The Hero, which takes place in 1930s Shanghai, tells the story of three brothers and their struggles to survive in the corrupted and lawless city. Ron Ng (吳卓羲) and Ngo Ka Nin (敖嘉年) will also star. The female leads are still in the process of being finalized.

It has been 30 years since Kent Tong last stepped foot into TVB studios to film a drama. Kent was a member of the highly popular Five Tigers, which also included Tony Leung (梁朝偉), Andy Leung (劉德華), Felix Wong (黃日華), and Michael Miu (苗僑偉). One of Kent’s most popular roles for TVB was Duan Yu in the 1982 adaptation of Jin Yong’s <金庸> Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils <天龍八部>. Before shifting his career to mainland China and Taiwan, Kent’s last TVB drama was an Amy Wong production.

Asked why she chose a 1930s backdrop for The Hero, Amy said, “After working on Brother’s Keeper <巨輪>, I noticed that the audience really appreciates realistic period dramas. So I gathered all my research and came up with a heroic story that takes place during the chaotic era of Shanghai. I want to present Shanghai’s history with a different angle. [The characters] will fight for power in their strive for survival. The story will span through the 1950s.”

Creds: Sinchew

2. 95prelude

95prelude Active Member

I still blame Kent for Barbara's death to this day.

3. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Care to explain that?

4. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

I believe (correct me if I am wrong), that Kent and Barbara dated for a while and then they broke up. (Long Story Short)

5. PBPsti

PBPsti Well-Known Member

me misses barbara. She was such a good actress back in the 80s.