13,000 Kids affected, and no one noticed?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ralphrepo, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Maybe it's must me? But I think that if a few hundred kids in the US, Britain, Canada, et cetera; got sick with certain kinds of unusual symptoms, that there would have been a national investigation launched. That is, hospital emergency departments, clinics, and even private doctor's offices would have been mandated to report new cases of pediatric renal failure and or kidney stones, so that medical authorities can get to the bottom of what is causing this.

Never mind that some people have already been arrested and we already know the whys. What's rather shocking to me is a lack of an effective system of medical notification that allows the government to track such things. Does anyone know if there's a standardized mechanism of public health alert even in place in the PRC? In the US, hospital systems routinely refer to the weekly M&M rounds (morbidity and mortality) issued by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control). This lets doctors around the country know if a significant or suspicious trend has been spotted and alerts them to been especially aware to look for such clinical entities. If a certain suspicious clinical symptom was found, there are 24 hour hot line numbers for doctors to call and ask for specific guidance from the CDC. It's reporting mechanisms such as this that had help with recent outbreaks of salmonella and e.coli infections, limiting the numbers of people affected overall. I'm just concerned that, the news had been reporting that hospitals throughout China had seen these symptoms already for several months; why weren't more questions being asked about the potential causes? At last count, the PRC had already confirmed about 12,800 cases! :(

In light of the fact that, had the problem never become public attention with the disclosure finally made by the PRC government, would this tainted milk problem simply have gone unabated despite growing numbers of children getting sick? I find that to the most frightening aspect of this. What if there was some other national health epidemic; would the PRC government just let things progress without notice? How does everyone else feel about this? <_<

2. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

The people at the PRC government are just lazy, they just cover up what ever happens. They are corrupt, if there are aids donated, they would most likely pocket the major amount

3. PRC is just trying to keep their failures as quite as possible...

4. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I must apologize as I had gotten my original numbers wrong; that's approximately 13,000 kids hospitalized with a total of approximately 53,000 affected (or a problem about four times worse than I'd originally thought):

In a rush? For a quick synopsis, just read the red highlighted lines.

:wtf: Damn...

5. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

ppl noticed but i guess they cant do anything =/

6. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

The health and food regulation standards are a lot different to that of a "Western" country. There are so many people in China, yet there still should be strict regulations-This isn't just one company-It's "at least 22" ; surely this incident could have been preventable or the number of babies affected not as high, if the Government officials were doing their jobs.

There is no excuse for the neglect from the PRC on this issue.