3D DS announced!

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by master_g, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata, has announced a brand new 3D-enabled handheld console to succeed its 125 million-selling DS. Incredibly, the new system will work without the need to wear special glasses too.

Mr. Iwata dropped this bombshell during an investor call overnight, during which it was revealed that the 3DS (working title) is scheduled to launch before the end of March 2011. Other details were scant, although Iwata also confirmed that the new handheld will be fully backwards-compatible with existing DS and DSi games. Whether that means they’ll be playable in 3D too remains to be seen.

So how will the 3DS actually work? Alas, we can’t answer that for sure, but we can certainly speculate. Indeed, a recent downloadable DS game for the Japanese market might point the way forward. Entitled “3D Hidden Image,” the game utilises the DSi’s front camera to work out the console’s orientation and adjusts the perspective of the onscreen images accordingly – players then tilt the DSi to locate hidden items. The effect is a convincing sense of depth, rather than the visuals leaping out of the screen, so to speak (see video below).

This may or may not be how the 3DS operates, but it at least demonstrates what’s possible using current technology. We await further developments with great interest. Meanwhile Nintendo is expected to reveal all at the forthcoming E3 tradeshow, which takes place in Los Angeles in June.

[video=youtube;h5QSclrIdlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE"[/video]

2. ultim8camper

ultim8camper Well-Known Member

no offense to nintendo i mean i love the ds .. but why make 3d when you could make the qual of the games more high def? :/

3. you dont need high def on small screens, its a gimmick at most, the point of HD is high quality picture for massive screens instead pixelated stuff we had to put up with before HD.

4. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

i like the idea and all, but i'm personally not a big fan of 3D things. i get headaches and such... :(

5. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Well the good thing about this 3D concept... even though the vid said its not really the demo of 3DS is that it will revolutionalize the way we play games the way motion controllers did. I mean, there is a whole new window of exploration here (I mean literally in terms of gameplay), most of which you probably could do with camera movements in the "3D" games of today. So its interest concept.

6. -Tisken-

-Tisken- Well-Known Member

awww i want !!

7. rax_7

rax_7 Well-Known Member

not a big fan of handheld console.

8. spider-man

spider-man Well-Known Member

That game in the video looks boring.

I want 3D DS!!!

9. Ereos

Ereos Well-Known Member

it looks cool
    but the NDS doesnt consist of pure gamer games more like games for little kids at the age of 5-11 mostly
    well at the moment i cant think of any games that was really hard for me
    but what can i say games are meant to be FUN

10. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

I'm quite interested in this 3D DS they will be coming up with.

I do wonder how games will look like, but im worried it might cost a fortune to buy the console

11. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

This is neat! I might get one!

12. Physica

Physica Well-Known Member

it nice man but need to see it before my eyes before even consider buying this...

13. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

not bad. Though i'll nvr consider buying it :p

At least its not those 3D where you have to wear those glasses.. which are stupid.

14. carlwheezer

carlwheezer New Member

Yeah I wonder how they're gonna make it pop out of the screen

15. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

this is getting all the buzz over e3, everyone loved it.

16. [video=youtube;97YgbJqNAIM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YgbJqNAIM&playnext_from=TL&videos=XUtY9DSU6hc&feature=sub"[/video]

whoever came up with this idea is genius

17. member74

member74 Member

i hope you can switch from 3D to 2D games, not fun playing 3D all the time.