Ahh idiots on Facebook can't solve 6/2(2+1)

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by MrCooperS, Apr 29, 2011.

1. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member

The answer is 9!!!!!!!!!! People are so stupid! They think it's 1!

2. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

An another variation pops up.

3. reno

reno Well-Known Member

it's just a matter of interpretation...
    when u write it out as a nice mathematical equation way, i'm sure everyone "should" get the same answer

when just typed out like this, then i guess u should just naturally go do ur calculations left to right

4. kevin

kevin RAWR!

In this world we live in, there are different type of people.

5. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

how do you get it to be 1? i cant figure how you do it.

no matter how i look at it, it equals 9.

6. Don't be calling people stupid, just because you can't understand their interpretation of BEDMAS.

As you know, BEDMAS requires division prior to the multiplication of 2(2+1) or rather 2(3).

In some countries, they use a variation of BEDMAS called PEMDAS, which requires multiplication prior to division, hence:

6/2(2+1)
    = 6/2(3)
    = 6/6
    =1

Again, don't be calling people stupid because you don't understand how they get to the answer of 1.

7. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

it's not about people being idiots, it's about how people learned the order of operations. The question is stupid itself

8. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Really depends if you do 6/2 first or you expand into the brackets.

First time doing it.. i will expand the brackets. But when its written as 6 as num. & 2 as dem.. i divide first (I see 6/2 as 6 ÷ 2 not as a fraction.. even though they're the same thing.)

9. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

Like Dan said earlier .. don't call others an idiot. The typed question is too vague. You can get either 1 or 9 depend on how the actually question is written out on paper.

10. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

because of how its written i would put 1 also so really man the question is :facepalm: but if you put it in a calculator you would probably go 6/(2(2+1)) to get 1 but obviously doing it by hand you usually have the idea to distribute the 2 through the brackets first then divide.

11. ultim8camper

ultim8camper Well-Known Member

yeahhhh i was always taught
    Bracket
    indices
    devision
    multiplication
    addition
    subtraction
    sooo errmmm yeaahhhhhh

12. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

Here we go again....

13. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member

I don't know about you but when I was taught PEMDAS, if the math problem was only addition and subtraction or if its only division and multiplication, you go left and right even if PEMDAS says to do multiplication before division or addition before subtraction. And yes they are stupid because you can't prove the answer is 1. You can prove the answer is 9 because if you wrote the equation as 6/2(x+2)=9 and solve for x than x=1, proving 9 is correct. If you do 6/2(x+2)=1 and solve for x, than x=1.6667 proving the answer is wrong. They are idiots, plain and simple.

14. Granted I may have been wrong in my interpretation of PEMDAS, but to call someone an "idiot" for misunderstanding a concept is idiotic in and of itself. It's an absurd, counter productive claim, and is far from the definition of an "idiot". "Idiot" refers to the inability for one to learn, and rather act in a nonsensical manner. Misinterpreting a concept does not imply the inability to learn.

However the word "idiot" could be placed in the following context: "It is idiotic to have made a thread such as this one."

15. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

no dude people can still see it as 6/(2(2+1))

If this was calculus its usually always

______

2(2+1) and its never written as 6/2(2+1)

the way you wrote 6/2(x+2)=9

it could be 2(x+2) first so 2x+4
    then 6(2x+4)=9
    so 12x+4=9
    12X=9-4
    12X=5
    x=5/12

lol

or 6/9= 2X+2
    (6/9)-2= -12/9=2X
    -2/3=x

i know you mean

6/2=3(x+2)=9

3X+6=9
    3X=3

but your re write of this equation doesn't mean shit and it just goes right back to the confusion in the beginning so you have no right to call others idiots.

BTW
    6/2(X+2)=1 lets say 6=x y=2(x+2) z=1 so is it fair to say that if x/y=z then x/z=y?

6/1= 6=2(x+2) 6=2X+4 2x=2 x=1

I'm sorry to say that x=1 does not mean it equals to 9 wtf is that. I don't get it. I think the confusion rises from students taking higher level math.

16. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

*Looks at Kdotc's direction*

17. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

yo my thread was just asking the question and taking a census

18. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

^yea i gotta back ma deeng viet boi up here at least he didn't went around callin others who dont agree idiots.

19. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

shit just got technical, again.

20. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

LOL, I guess I would take that back, since he wasn't calling people idiots.
    I'd even say his thread is better cos its made by a Canadian :trollface: