Arcade Sticks

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by racebannon, Jan 22, 2010.

1. racebannon

racebannon Well-Known Member

So, arcade sticks... they're just controllers, right? But they can cost nearly £200, are they worth it? And what's this I hear about modding as well. You just paid £150 for a fancy controller and now you want to take it apart and spend even more money. Is this insane or am I just being a little narrow minded?

Arcade sticks - Who likes 'em, who needs 'em?

2. I have a TE Arcade stick, is it worth the money... its not about that.. if you can afford it and you want it then you get it, if it costs to much then you stick with a pad which isnt nice for xbox people.

Modding is a choice, its not necessary, the TE stick is fully sanwa so it cant really be improved on, modding is just for preference or to make it look unique. once again, if you have the money then why not. its just like upgrading a car, necessary no.. but if you want to do it.. your choice.

Who needs them? people like me who's unable to play certain games with a xbox pad and all those who want to use them.

Are you narrow minded? no.. you have your view point on the matter, it may not match up with everyone else's and everyone else's may not match up with each others.. but life goes on.

3. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I have the MadCatz tournament stick.

I'll give you two reasons to get it, if you don't fall under the category, probably just stick to controller pads.

1. Serious player--enter tournaments and such.

and

2. I want the arcade experience at home with a joystick

I have like 4000 games logged between Xbox and PC. That's a lot. If I spent that much time in the arcade centers itself playing those 4k matches, I could've probably bought myself a new computer or two. So yeah, if you're not gonna play that much... I wouldn't invest in one.

4. if you don't go to arcades there is really no point..

if you got the cash and want the arcade experience.. then get it. Although some would say the stick give you more accurate and faster control.

kinda like how you wouldn't play shooters with a gamepad.. but i mean.. it's do-able. just get good at it.

Racing wheels are more expensive than arcade sticks tho.. and people get the chairs or build one jus to play with it.. so that's even more money.. lol

5. racebannon

racebannon Well-Known Member

alright don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the use of arcade sticks by no means. I quite like the idea of arcade sticks but personally I struggle to get to grips with them (no pun intended).

6. yea.. there's a learning curve.. but once you get used it, it should be easier to use than a gamepad cause you won't have to keep rubbing your thumb on it.

and speaking of arcade sticks.. I kinda want to get one now.. but I don't practice enough on sf.. lol

7. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, to each their own... I was playing motion char when I had pad and when I got joystick it just felt better to play a charge character for me. Normally your thumb will get tired holding down the D-pad for few minutes at a time during matches. It's just better to have a joystick. You can flick your wrist faster than your thumb can move if you didn't know.

8. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

it really does depend on urself. i have a te stick that i dual modded to work with xbox and ps3 and i really like using it over the pad for fighting games. if you dunno if you want a stick you should try out a stick in the arcade and see if you are comfortable with it.

9. is it possible to get good at SF with a wheel?