Books Discussion!

Discussion in 'Fan Fix' started by blackmagic, Jul 31, 2006.

1. blackmagic

blackmagic Well-Known Member

Thought I'd start a thread for us to discuss current readings or book recommendations. :)

As a high school requirement, I'm currently reading Animal Farm by George Orwell and To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee.

Animal Farm is not that good, but hey! Stalin is a pig! :p

To Kill a Mocking Bird on the otherhand is dreadfully boring! Odd thing is I'm the only one who think so. :(

But anyway, what books are you guys currently reading? Any comments or suggestions???

2. the last book i read was Memoirs of a Geisha... i thought that was pretty good... now i'm also reading a book on geisha... but this one is a non-fiction... this geisha entertained Prince Charles!! -shock

3. taichi_masta

taichi_masta Well-Known Member

Romance of the Three Kingdoms! My favorite =P

4. peachey

peachey Well-Known Member

It's a very classic historical novel. :) Have you ever seen the television series?

5. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

when was the last time i read a book?

6. don

don ello

yeah that was my requirement too.....but i finished it just couple months ago hated both books but good that the teacher was nice and gave easy quizzes and no test hehe:D

7. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

I also read to kill a mockingbird in middle school! I cant stand it...its so boring. I would fall asleep and the teacher would yell at me

8. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

mocking bird and animal both excellent books. would never have read em outside of school, but glad i did. I'm a big science fiction fan, but not reading anything at the moment.

9. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

robots go to school?

10. trinomial

trinomial Member

personally, i like fantasy books like wheel of time and stuff. there was also dragonlance that i read, but its kind of childish now thinking about it

11. synonymous

synonymous Member

I just finished reading Tristan and Isolde by Shakespeare. I loved every bit of this book! I also saw the movie which was splendid except for some kissing moments . Everything else was well done IMO. I really like the storyline but it's so sad. I wonder if it's a true story and people say it's similar to Romeo & Juliet but I recommend this better. :)

12. EvaxTvxQ

EvaxTvxQ Well-Known Member

omg you guys read so many books..
    i'm supposed to read
    "oliver twist"
    "Acrss The Five Aprils"
    "The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer"
    "The Good Earth"

but sadly, i only read one of the book...and didnt read the rest...
    and school is almost starting hahahaha!..
    oh well, i doubt anyone read this summer xD

13. we do have a literature section here at PA :p

*moves to Fan Fix section*

14. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

i remember for high school/secondary school, in english lit class

i had read loads of shakesphere stuff like merchant of venice ( damn was that boring lol) and romeo and juliet which wasnt that bad cos we had loads of vids to watch

then later on we had frankenstein and mice and men which werent that bad

generally i hate books :p i dont read unless i have to and that was the case -lol

but before all that i luved reading some goosebump novels and that "horrible" history or science selection, these were good ^_^

15. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

omg...i did animal farm in gr7 and mocking bird in gr9...i didn't read the books..so hard to read..so i sparknotes it and watch the movie.... the outsider is like the best book =)..i think u should read lord of the flies..i had to read it in gr12

16. aussiekid

aussiekid Well-Known Member

animal farm is niceeeee.. lol
    i love reading non fiction like "girl in the picture", chairman mao's last dancer etc etc and amy tan's books.. and by jane green..

17. synonymous

synonymous Member

Ohh I actually really loved the movie and I think I've fallen for the characters. :p I can't possibly put my mind aside about this movie. Maybe because I'm a true fanatic about love stories. :p I think that this movie is actually better than Romeo and Juliet. The storyline is also better. Although I don't think it's similar somehow? -huh It's rated 7/10 too. :D

18. whoaitselaine

whoaitselaine Well-Known Member

my english teacher made us read animal farm. >.> something about an animal revolution right? it was sorta like the russian revolution or something like that. heh.

19. shy

shy Well-Known Member

The Alchemist is a very good book. I also enjoyed it. Another book I'd recommend is La Princess De Cleves by Madame De Lafayette. It's a classic, but it's an excellent read.

20. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

i read 'the curious incident of the dog' recently and absolutely loved the book to pieces its such a good book and definately recommended :D

ive also read the cook called 'lovely bones' which isnt too bad and made me cry when i read it as its soo touching :)