Bottle Rockets

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by Jeff, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

So I'm gonna have to build a Bottle (Coke 2L Bottle) Rocket in physics class.

Some criteria is must be at least in the air 12 seconds, and make it look "kinda" fancy.. aka parachute(slow down the rate of falling down), add an egg to it and see if it'll break.. etc

I will do more research but I wanna know some suggestions :D

Anyone got some good ideas on how it'll stay in the air longer or good designs that worked? (Of course i'll research more of it though)

#1 Jeff, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

Parachute might be your best option, not quite sure how you would go about deploying it though.
    You could also add some fins to help stabilize your rocket, so it goes further up.

3. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Don't try this at home, LOL... -what?

[video=youtube;MuVLu-2JKxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuVLu-2JKxQ&feature=related[/video]

...and of course, the epic fail...

[video=youtube;g4kBNBEJKD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4kBNBEJKD8&feature=related[/video]

...and of course, since this is physics we're interested in (yeah, physics, that's it, physics...) the science behind it: LINK

This last one is a video of a few guys with admittedly way too much time on their hands:
    [video=youtube;9vk4_2xboOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vk4_2xboOE[/video]

#3 ralphrepo, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Thanks ThatGuy. I'm thinking a way how to input the parachute. Dont get the tutorials that people put out -whistle.

Thanks Ralph, but not Mentos+Coke rocket. LOL! But the ones where you input water and pumped air to make it pressurized(?). Then when u release the valve and it shoots up! :)

5. dragong87

dragong87 Well-Known Member

i did something similar for my year 12. to stay in the air im not sure.. but for the longest time we had in the air was about 5/8 water i think... and if you sort of scrape around the inside where the cork goes in for more friction it will build up more pressure before it flies off and go higher (which i assume will mean it'll be in the air longer)

6. Hairbear

Hairbear Well-Known Member

this is cheating. :trollface:

7. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Aint cheating! He said you can even steal blueprints as long as you credit them -whistle.

8. Hairbear

Hairbear Well-Known Member

so you're going to cite pa when you hand it in? LOL.

9. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

The hand written assignment is already handed in.. designs dont matter!

10. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Long candle stuck/glued inside the bottle cap, cut the base of the bottle, drill several holes around the rims of the bottle (bottom bit) and use a plastic bag (acts as a parachute) with strings to tie it against those holes.

Experiment time. Unscrew cap, light up the candle and carefully screw it back into the bottle and with physics, I believe it will act as a parachute. Of course it will fly up high so you can tie the bottle neck with a string so you can draw it back down. Eco friendly =)

11. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

I take it, this is physics class?.....So FBD?

Coke bottle is light, so you would have to add like a penny at the mouth to ensure that as it falls the head will always point down. To implement a parachute it's not as easy, because air resistance cannot be higher than the rate of gravity that is pulling the bottle down. Hence it can't really be that big (plus the larger the parachute the tougher to deploy). hmmm i wonder...that fins thing that the comment above talked about. Have fins face down so that it increases height when launched, but as it falls, have the fins move out for air resistance.....if you know what i mean

12. ThatGuy

[​IMG]

Like so?

13. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Thanks for the reply!

@kevin: I think that's a bit hard to put a candle inside the bottle.. LOL! & kinda confused about your statement too :S

@Hartia: Yes, FBD this year. But dont need FBD for this rocket assignment. I have the nose cone, and will put mass into the cone.. but how to ensure that the nosecone will fall off to get the parachute to deploy..

14. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Yes but upside down. The bag will be at the top so air resistance will keep up upright (the bag). Because the bottle cap is weighted with the candle it will be facing downwards when landing.

@Jeff, look at that diagram, it's pretty easy to make but the only problem is that if it's very windy then it could be a problem. The flames must be strong enough to push air upright so that it forces the bag to 'inflate' and in turn fly upwards to the sky.

15. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

i can't have anything on the bottom side because that's where the launcher goes it to put pressure in so it could launch :p

16. ThatGuy

[video=youtube;qvOGT1myhoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOGT1myhoo&feature=related[/video]

This looks like it could work.

17. taistephanie

taistephanie New Member

very interesting clip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.