Canada Introduces New Plastic Currency - About time!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by person, Nov 16, 2011.

1. person

person Well-Known Member

So my bro when he lived in Mexico brought home some of the currency for me, plastic bills and I thought it was so neat! I kept wondering when Canada would be doing the same. That was two years ago. And now, finally!
    Wish the 5,10 and 20s came out sooner.

[video=youtube;7chpllnU-To]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7chpllnU-To[/video]

Canada may be permanently swapping paper for plastic, providing its recently-released polymer $100 note is well-received.
    The brand new bill was put into circulation starting Nov. 14, with $50 and $20 bills scheduled for 2012 and $10 and $5 bills slotted to come out in 2013.
    Polymer currencies, first developed in the 1980s in Australia, have helped countries cut back on counterfeit bills. Australia introduced polymer cash in 1988.
    The new bill is equipped with security features that make it very difficult to counterfeit, according to the Bank of Canada’s press release . A transparent maple leaf and a clear portion on the left side of the bill with holographs that change color in the light are designed to foil counterfeiters attempting to create fake notes.

[​IMG]

The polymer series costs 19 cents per unit to produce, almost twice the 10 cents needed to make paper bills. But they are more cost-effective in the long run, said Bank of Canada spokesperson Julie Girard. They are recyclable and last two and a half times longer than the older cotton-based model, she said.
    The U.S. has tried to cut costs by replacing its dollar bills with $1 coins, but the American public has resisted giving up its greenbacks. The idea of U.S. dollars replaced with plastic bills has not been proposed.
    The front of the new Canadian bill features a portrait of Sir Robert Borden, the country’s prime minister from 1911 to 1920. The back is a tribute to Canadian scientific advances, such as the discovery of insulin by Canadian scientist Sir Frederick Banting.
    Although many consumers now pay with credit or debit cards, Canadian officials have been quick to point out that half of the country’s transactions are still cash-based. “Reports of the death of cash are greatly exaggerated,” Mark Carney, the governor of the Bank of Canada, said at a press conference.
    Girard said the currency department has worked for two years to ready machines that process money, such as ATMs, for the release of the new currency.
    The machines have had to make changes to process the polymer model, but ” We’re working really really hard with them to provide them with notes and to give them expertise,” Girard said. “We do everything we can to help them make a smooth transition.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/11/canada-introduces-new-plastic-currency/

2. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

3. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

Totally forgot they were putting them in circulation in November. Have yet to see one, but it's only been a few days. Also I don't carry $100 bills with me lol

4. person

person Well-Known Member

Same here.

Oooh the bills look so crisp! Don't bend it!! Oh, gonna hate the first bastard who folds the bills...

5. Do they rip easily?

The other day I saw the old school 10 dollar bill, with the halves joined only with half an inch...

6. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah, got one at work one time. Been so long since we last used them, I forgot how to tell if it was a fake or not. Stupid 15 year old was trying to explain to us that it was an old version. No fucking way? Course I know it's old you idiot. Used them before he ever did.

7. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Like HK style.

8. reno

reno Well-Known Member

seee... go aussies!!
    plastic bills since the 80s!

9. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

welcome to the future canadians!

10. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

The only thing Australia is ahead of

11. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Well, it certainly beats using the old Rai Stones as money, LOL...

[​IMG]

What's in your wallet? ha ha...

12. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

i'd like to feel one right about now! the gov't sure knows how to market this thing -- neat video. now it's the united states' turn, whenever that is... USD is so much uglier than the CAD.

13. need some in my wallet

14. reno

reno Well-Known Member

our currency is higher too ^^
    time to spend up there! hahaha

15. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

whens it uk's turn -__-"

16. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

^ wont happen, we will stick to our dirty ripped-sellotaped-lined with drug notes.

17. kevin

kevin RAWR!

^
    ^
    That's what I'm saying, it look so cool! Especially the part where you put it against your eyes and you can see numbers!

^
    I just love the fresh notes but I hate it when the shops gimme those toilet paper like notes (the one that seem like it will rip any moment). It's like "ewww" because you don't want to put it into your wallet.

-------

These notes are awesome but does it rip? It's made out of plastic so...?

18. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

Yeah i ask for a different note or coins, those half ripped ones are the worst.

19. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

just a bit lower

1 Canadian dollar = 0.972409168 Australian dollars

20. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

frame it