Car plate having number 888 , what do you think?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by surplusletterbox, Jan 26, 2007.

?

what do you think when people see a car registration plate with a number 8?

1. person places wealthy and money above all else

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. person thinks it's good luck and nothing more than tradition

38 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. Person is money grabbing, self-fish and greedy

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Person is a kind and generous and commmuity minded

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. I think nothing positive or negative about the owner (= neutral)

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  6. The use of 8 is excessive and gives a negarive impression and you like to see less of it around

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Use of 8 is fabulous and you love to see more round so that the neighborhood knows who we are

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

-scooter , many people drive a car with number 8 in the registration number, like :-

ABC 888, X128 ABC,

When you drive around a white neighborhood and you see a convoy of cars with at least one digit that's 8 on the registration plate, you know there is a meeting of lots of chinese, vietnames , hongkong or taiwanese people

What do you think (your perception that counts, no logic please) of these people who use the number 8?

Is it :-

1) The owner of the vehicle places wealthy and money above all else
    2) The owner thinks it is good luck and nothing more than an age odl tradition
    3) The owner is a money grabbing, self-fish and greedy person
    4) The owner is a kind and generous person and a commmuity minded person
    5) I think nothing positive or negative about the owner (= neutral)
    6) The use of 8 is excessive and gives a negarive impression and you like to see less of it around
    7)The use of 8 is cool and great and you love more of it around so that the neighborhood know what we want and are about

2. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Neutral as having an 8 in your number plate doesn't always mean you're money grabbing or at least superstitious? I know you can buy your own # plate in some countries but sometimes you're just lucky to get those Lucky numbers. And even if the owners bought it, well, if they like to think it will bring them good luck and fortune, good for them. At least these numbers will make money for the governments/organisations who sell these plates. -^_^

Don't have a car yet but I have a lots of bank/membership cards 'n passes with a lot of 8's but I didn't choose them. Think it's easier for me to remember. If they were trully lucky numbers my birthdate should have made me billionaire by now. :D

3. korx

korx Well-Known Member

i bet most chinese ppl have 8 and 3's in their passwords.

4. chabunky2000

chabunky2000 Well-Known Member

I can't believe you guys bring up this topic. I am really careless about a license plate numbers. Unfortunately, my father was very superstitious. He, without asking for my permission, changed my plate# to CLAW888. I hated that, b/c the plate # is so obvious and easy to remember. Anyway, my father is a weirdo:p

5. korx

korx Well-Known Member

Don't hit and run. They'll remember you.

6. PearlC

PearlC Active Member

yea most chinese ppl use 3's and 8's coz its lucky, so i gues using 888 is probably gona b super lucky - tho i personally doubt it

7. korx

korx Well-Known Member

888 in canto sounds more like someone who is nosey

8. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Even though sometimes (many times, in fact) those superstition are overwhelmingly annoying, it is simply put, superstition still. It's just like Whites will worry about breaking a mirror, walking below a ladder or walk by a black cat and such.
    Nothing more, it really depends on how the person with the license plate act. Anyone acting high and almighty for owning some buck is annoying, it has nothing to do with the plate number itself.

9. larlarlar

larlarlar Well-Known Member

Ooo true, didn't realize that. I think its just superstition though. I voted 2.

10. phatster

phatster Active Member

I personally don't think much about the number 8. Like mentioned, when you see cars with tons of 8s, you would generally associate them with Asians.
    Growing up in Asia, 8 is denoted as an auspicious # symbolising prosperity. In my country, if you want a license plate with nice combinations of 8s and 3s, it costs a bomb. eg. BB 888 B, will cost at least $20kUSD. I couldn't believe the # of people who would actually bid for a license plate at such stupid prices.

11. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

I think person thinks it's good luck and nothing more than tradition + become richer and richer.

888 = 發發發/八八八

12. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ i agree with thf20 becuase most asians are superstitious and 888 means to be rich and wealthy or something like that

13. szetor

szetor Well-Known Member

U forgot one option in the poll...

*if the carplate has 8... then the driver is chinese.*

14. rsx

rsx Well-Known Member

HAHA, exactly.

I am not superstitious about the numbers or letters on my license plate nor do I want an obvious license plate for the reason chabunky2000 mentioned.

The numbers and letters on there is simply that, nothing more. I remember my dad wanting me to pick out some specific numbers (for reasons unknown, at that time) when I went to the registry, but I didn't care anyhow.

15. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

The eight represents 發. Anyways, I went to some Chinese malls, literally all of the cars had an 8, except mine!

16. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

how about 444???

-shock

17. korx

korx Well-Known Member

in canto is "ba-at,ba-at,ba-at". so canto decided to replace the b with an f. so now it's faat faat faat = rich rich rich.

444= sounds like say say say which means death.

18. devonyu415

devonyu415 Member

LOL. holy crap, my license is 888 YU. i just thought it was some lucky tradition or just chinese people have 8's in their license. my parents go driving and guess if the driver is chinese with how many 8's they got ROFL.

19. korx

korx Well-Known Member

14 is a bad number too "sup say" like definitely die

20. nicole

nicole Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean much to mean. Pretty neutral on numbers thing. I mean I have license plate with 9's but heck I still got rear ended.