Carol Chu, Andy Lau's Loyal Girlfriend and Wife for More Than Two Decades

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, May 12, 2012.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

carol-chu-andy-lau.jpg

Since the revelation that Andy Lau (刘德华) had married Carol Chu (朱丽倩) who was his girlfriend for over for over 20 years in 2008, the world grew extremely curious as to who she was and exactly how she captured the heart of Andy Lau. Carol was prepared to act as Andy’s “invisible” woman, never complaining despite sustaining a long-distance relationship for years. Clearly, Carol was born with patience and understanding, qualities which will make her an excellent mother to their baby daughter, born on May 9, 2012.

An Understanding and Gentle Women

Born in Penang, Malaysia, Carol Chu had 5 siblings. The Chu family owned and operated a flourishing seafood restaurant. Besides the family’s wealth, Hong Kong media described that Carol was a quiet millionaire, owning ten luxury homes, which were essentially gifts from Andy. Presumably, during her pregnancy, Andy bought a new home for Carol a year ago.

Carol was a traditional and gentle woman. Carol once said to a friend that a woman belonged to her family; being married and becoming a mother was her biggest dream.

An insider revealed that Andy Lau loved Carol Chu because of her generous and understanding nature. In the 1990s, Andy was often romantically linked with Rosamund Kwan (关之琳), because of their film collaborations. However, Carol never questioned Andy’s loyalty. Carol’s trust in Andy was the key reason why their relationship blossomed through the years, despite Andy’s super-stardom status, frantic work schedule, and regular absence. Carol did not mind shuffling her agenda while waiting for Andy’s long-distance phone calls at home.

In Love With Andy Lau Since 18

In 1985, at the age of 18, Carol won the second runner-up title in a Malaysian beauty contest, “Miss Trendy”. She carried herself gracefully in the beauty contest, professing that she had strong interest in cooking and quite often prepared her own meals.

During the interview portion of the beauty contest, when asked what qualities she searched for in a significant other, Carol said, “I love Andy Lau the most! I will set him as the standard when looking for a partner!”

In 1986, Andy made a trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a tournament for the Hong Kong Celebrity Soccer Team. During that time, 24 year old Andy Lau fell in love with 18 year old Carol Chu after meeting one another through a mutual friend. This was during Andy and ex-girlfriend, Yu Ke Xin’s (喻可欣) momentary split.

In 1988, Carol resided in Hong Kong temporarily. Carol and her younger sister, Chu Lai Wah (朱丽华) studied beauty and skincare practices under local beautician, Cheng Ming Ming (郑明明). It was known that Andy always waited for Carol outside Cheng Ming Ming’s beauty school. Ms. Cheng also verified that Carol and Andy knew each other at that time. Carol presumably stayed at Andy’s house while living in Hong Kong.

Within the next several years, Carol Chu’s name was constantly linked to Andy Lau, as the pair’s financial ventures grew to become increasingly intertwined. Carol at first replied, “I do not know Andy Lau. I am not his fan. My perception of him is average.” Later, Andy replied, “She (Carol Chu) is just a regular friend that I met in Malaysia.”

Before Carol and Andy’s marriage registration was uncovered in 2009, there have been other clues that Carol and Andy may have decided long ago to become life-long partners:

1995: It was revealed that Carol and Andy bought a home in Penang, Malaysia. Carol worked at Andy’s production company, Teamwork Motion Pictures, Ltd.

2000: Andy Lau opened a travel agency under Carol Chu’s name. Agency staff addressed Carol as “Mrs. Lau.”

2001: Carol Chu went to Andy Lau’s concert in Malaysia. It was reported that Carol had a young child by her side; as a result widespread rumors of an illegitimate child circulated.

2009: Andy and Carol signed a marriage registration in the United States in 2008.

Close to a quarter of a century has passed since Carol Chu and Andy Lau fell in love. Now they enter a new chapter in life as parents, while they teach their daughter the patience of love, a virtue that allowed their own relationship and marriage to blossom.

[​IMG]

Creds: Zhiyin

2. animeiswild

animeiswild Active Member

Almost sounds like a drama... To fall in love and get married with your idol... XD

But I'm happy for them. =)

3. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

The live version of return of the condor heroes...... but the only difference is that it's 20 years and not 30 years (or was it 20 years?.....i forgot).........nice....i'm glad he found his real little dragon girl....hope he's successful with his family, just like his career...

4. mashimaro9

mashimaro9 Well-Known Member

glad that andy found the love of his life. congrats on the new parents

5. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

I can't believe they were able to keep their relationship a secret for so long. I hope they're finally able to live openly as a family.

6. dddancer

dddancer Member

So lovely

7. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

credit to her for being able to keep up with andy's busy and paparazzi-filled life.

in other news, andy lau will supposedly be in iron man 3. -whistle