Design a allergy experiment

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by hardo azian, Dec 4, 2008.

1. hardo azian

hardo azian Well-Known Member

hi, i have to design a experiment to prove that I'm allergic to horses.
    cannot come up with a plan how to make some negative controls and positive controls.

this is what got so far:

i go towards a horse and stand beside this horse. after each 2 minutes i write all my symptoms on paper.

yea, it sounds very crappy.

so could you help me ? any suggestions?

2. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

thats the gayest thing iv ever heard... what kind of class encourages you to have an allergic reaction... fuckin lawsuit territory right there.

3. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

yo what i got from your name is this ain't serious right hahhaa...go suck off that 9 inch. maybe you'll get some answers.

4. hardo azian

dude, i am very serious ! it's a part of my research.

5. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

SHAME ON YOU KUNG KUNG...NOT HELPING...:kekekegay:

UMMM.....BUT YESHH I AGREE WITH FEARLESS ITS A WEIRD ASSIGNMENT THEY
    ASKING YOU...-what?....I GUESS YOU COULD TRY RECORDING DIFFERENT REACTIONS
    WITH DIFFERENT HORSES..?!?..OR HAVE LIKE A CONTROL HORSE AND DO DIFF
    THINGS WITH THE HORSES AND COMPARE IT WITH THE CONTROL HORSE..?!?..

NOT SURE IF THAS EVEN HELPED YOU...I DUN EVEN THINK I UNDERSTAND WHUT I WROTE...HAHA

6. hardo azian

doing different things with horses ? :wtf:

7. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

sei bb :rant:

8. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

i think she meant like...
    petting the horse, standing close to it, sitting on the horse, feeding the horse etc

9. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Maybe have someone else who isn't allergic to horses as the control or something like that.

10. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Well, after two minutes you may have an anaphylactic reaction and die. Then you won't need to worry about your experiment (or anything else for that matter) ever again. Provoking an allergic reaction in oneself without emergency medical measures and trained personnel ready at hand is not only ill advised, but may result in death. Most allergen panels for equine related allergies can be demonstrated with the use of minute quantities of horse serum injected under the skin. http://www.fpnotebook.com/ENT/Lab/SknTstFrHrsSrmSnstvty.htm

11. hardo azian

do you think the school doctor is sufficient enough, regarding medical attention?

i did ride a horse once, i am not dead yet. so an anaphylactic reaction shouldn't be a problem

12. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

So if riding a horse didn't give you an allergic reaction, then what's to be proven by your standing next to one? Besides, being not allergic to the general milieu of horses doesn't necessarily mean that you're not allergic to horse serum, specifically protein substances found in medications made from the blood of horses. This really isn't much of a contemporary problem as most sera derived medications now use human sources instead. What you need to do is go to an allergist. The standard method of determining allergies is to introduce specific substances in limited doses under a controlled setting (like your allergist's office). Going out to a farm and standing next to a horse is generally not conclusive evidence that you were reacting to the horse (unless it stepped on you).

13. matethemouse

matethemouse Well-Known Member

don't they have any chemical tests for allergy? Sounds crazy if the only way to test allergy is (potentielly) risk your life.

14. bestknightmare

bestknightmare Active Member

what level is this project for? university or high school?

isnt it better to do a bioimmunological test? take some of your blood serum and do an ELISA test with horse samples (eg. horse hair, saliva etc).
    this test if your immunogloblins (particularly your IgE) will react to horse antigens

(also advantageous because it does not require you physically standing beside a horse and risking adverse effects)

#14 bestknightmare, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  15. hardo azian

its for high school.
    after i rode the horse, my face was swollen an i had red eyes and it was hard to breathe.
    earlier this year, I did an skin test and the results said i was allergic to different types of grass. so it could be the hay or the horse.

btw i managed to get some horse hair, what could i do with it?

16. bestknightmare

if this is for a high school project, I don't think you would have the necessary equipment to run the immunological test. To be honest, you are testing if you have allergies...and you've already found out (from the hard way, I must say). Why do you want a negative control? Its a hit or miss experiment. Regarding the professional allergy test results from before, they didn't tell you that you are allergic to horse is probably because that is not a 'standard' specimen that they would check. In the winter, most grass or hay that people are allergic to are gone or covered by the snow, this helps you to eliminate the mixed possibility that it is the grass (instead of the horse). If you are STILL allergic to the horse, then its probably due to the horse and not the grass.

hope that helps

17. hardo azian

i could go to a university ask they could do a elisa test with me

18. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

you know, if you lived in the US you could probably sue your high school for a fair bit of cash for asking you to do this...

i suspect you could easily make a few hundred grand if you had a good lawyer.

19. bestknightmare

For what, curious. Student design their own experiments and its to their discretion to do it smart. No offence OP.

20. Raymo

Raymo Well-Known Member

I doubt Universities would be willing to randomly accept samples and perform tests. With a high school projects like this, I think the teacher just wants the students to think of ideas that are considered good experimental proposals. Positive controls can just be a "test" to see if you are really allergic to horses. As suggested, you may expose yourself to different durations of the allergen to observe its effects. But don't be doing that if you have serious responses that has adverse effects to your body. Negative controls could be other types of animals that show no allergic reactions.