Did your parents give you an English name or Chinese name first?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by hkm91450, Jun 20, 2007.

?

Did your parents give you an English name or Chinese name first?

1. English first

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Chinese first

79 vote(s)
    63.2%
  3. Don't know

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Message deleted

#1 hkm91450, Jun 20, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  2. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I got my Chinese name a long time before I have my English one. And it would have been dreadful to have a Chinese name with similar sound as the English one...

3. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

i was born only with a Chinese name, when i moved to UK, then i got a English name. but my English name does bare resemblance to my Chinese name

4. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

hey how come my friend picked an english name Andriy as well what a coincidence...

unless the name sounded nice both in chinese and english or else....
    who with the name linda, doreen, patsy, joelyn, etc would want a similar sounded chinese name lol...

5. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

me too got my chinese name before my english one.They don't match at all

6. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

My parents gave me my chinese name first. They believe that a good chinese name is very important so they probably named me even before I was born. I think I got my english name when I was 1 or 2.

7. hiake

It doesn't bother me (that they don't match), in fact, my friends always tell me that I am like BORN with my English name (character wise) :p

Perfect match or what not... My Chinese name is like what my parents want me to be, my English name is what I grew up to be -^_^

8. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

What does hiake mean? It sounds a bit japanese to me.

My parents want me to be my chinese name too, but I'm nothing like it at the moment.

9. hiake

It's a long story, that nick of mine. A story from LONG LONG AGO, when internet was first available for home use... It's THAT old... :)

And it's my goal to live up to my Chinese name (my parent's expectation) one day.

10. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

No English name, just chinese name for me. None of the non-Chinese ever had trouble speaking/writing my name out.

11. pirvee

pirvee Well-Known Member

i got the chinese one first....haven't yet decided on a english one -lol

isn't it that most chinese names carries an expectation or wish from the parents when they chose it?
    most names have something positive in it...

and... is this a long and spectacular story??

12. riku369

riku369 Member

I only have a chinese name, but if I want to lie about my name, I always end up making an English one :D
    I love making up names, and sometimes when they find me, I can't tell they r calling me :p lol

13. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

Got both of my names at the same time but i was mostly known by my chinese name first.

14. pirvee

pirvee Well-Known Member

whaa..nice!! can u share some of ur great creations??

15. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

chinese name first..dont really have a proper proper english name as my english name now is just the pronounciation of my chinese name..eg.. Chinese name: 美儀 English name: May Yi

16. nicole

nicole Well-Known Member

Chinese name first and just translated to same it in English. Never felt a need to create an American nickname.

17. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

^ Same here.

18. sean222

sean222 Well-Known Member

i think it was my chinese name, and eng name was soon after, but i got my chiense name changed a couple months later.....

19. ChilliChidori

ChilliChidori Well-Known Member

My was the Chinese one. After that I picked up an Englich name for myself.

20. porksi

porksi Well-Known Member

My english name is my chinese name, parent didnt know english back then and still dont hehe