Do you ever have trouble listening to canto music?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by uryu, Jun 1, 2006.

1. uryu

uryu Well-Known Member

considering that you are chinese, and speak cantonese rather then mando, don't you feel that even though you can speak canto and hold onto a canto conversation rather nicely, that sometimes when you listen to music that are sang into canto, that it's hard to hear everything and even get the meaning?

2. Raymo

Raymo Well-Known Member

sometimes i have this problem, it's just cause the song went by too fast, or I wasn't paying too much attention to the song =O

3. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

Sometime I guess. But if I listen to the music at home, I would probably look at the lyrics as well. In case, I miss something... :)

4. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

i rarely understand the lyrics yet i try to memorize the song...they use complicated words...since its formal cause its writing and not speaking..

5. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

Ha i undertand most of the words they say, but if it just goes too quick i don't relli catch it. Anyway i listen to maderin music more and i don't understand it.

6. holungwooy

holungwooy Member

yeah it is sort of embarrasing, but hey, i grew up in america and still have no idea what most rappers/hip hoppers are talking about in their songs. i suppose that even though most of my friends are "fobs" im still a bit removed from the culture. alot of people that grew up in taiwan that im friends with still have no idea what jay chou sings in his faster songs!

7. JolinTsai888

JolinTsai888 Well-Known Member

yea i have the same problem with cantonese songs... sometimes it gets really depressing that i can't fully or even sometimes understand lil parts of the song. anybody got any tips on how to improve this ability to understand chinese songs??

8. Rico_one

Rico_one Member

yepp i still listen do canton music..
    is the best music in the world..hehe

9. sir_denster

sir_denster Well-Known Member

It's not just a question of speed, but it's also that the words used in songs are different than what we'd use typically in conversation. For example, for a sentence in English like: "I went back home today," we would say in conversation, "Ngo gum yut fan hui nok kay," but in a song or more formal Cantonese, it would be, "Ngo gum teen wui liu ga" (我今天回了家.)

10. ImportTuner

ImportTuner Active Member

it's fun listening to songs done in both canto and mandarin like that jordan chan song...

11. valkyrie_my

valkyrie_my Member

is definitely hard for me cos im English educated & dunno Mandarin... But i get to learn new stuff from all the Cantonese songs i've been listenin..

12. rNb99

rNb99 Well-Known Member

that's true. i speak cantonese fluently but sometimes i have trouble understanding the lyrics..

13. simonhy

simonhy Member

14. fruity dofu

fruity dofu Well-Known Member

yeah..i sometimes have a hard time understanding the meaning of some songs.like recently, fiona sit song called mini sugar dumpling..i understand she is a robot, but what is the other all about..?

15. its poetic so im guessing most of us would have problems deciphering it. try chinese poems they are hard as hell even not put into music. im guessing american/english countries canto people would have some problems with this. You probably have to be a true fob to have no trouble listening. some songs its easy to pick up on the lyrics and others are a puzzle, depends on how good the writers are and your chinese is eh =P

16. HK! Fish

HK! Fish Well-Known Member

For me, I don't have a problem understanding it.
    But I think ppl mostly don't get some words, cuz whenever they sing, they used written characters to sing than to speak. So then the words kind of change, but if you know how to speak the written characters, then you could understand it clearly and perfectly.

17. shadow Thi3f

shadow Thi3f Well-Known Member

I guess Im not the only one with this problem. Yeah I agree that the reason behind this is the difference between the words used in formal writing and in a normal conversation. I took a chinese course before and the words used in the books were not words we would normally use in a conversation. A cantonese song is similar to those old school poems that you hear in ancient movies.

18. azzdks

azzdks Member

I feel that most of the singers now just plan suck becasue they can sing, so when we listen to the songs, we don't really want to listen to the words they sing out. Some singers also can't properly pronoun each word so it is very hard to understand their singing.

19. jkayu

jkayu Member

agree. sometimes in order to understand the lyrics, you have to study both formal and informal in order to understand it. sometimes it just takes practice to speak and listen. it may be better if you speak cantonese to your parents alot @ home also. another good way to comprend it is to also learn how to read and write chinese. then you can be able to pick up the lyrics and memorize it and understand them that way.^^

20. shinkou

shinkou New Member

man.. cantonese (hk) music produce the crappiest lyrics nowadays. Sometimes they just sing to the tune.. even if the lyrics make no sense whatsoever. What ever happened to our golden days? =(