Double Degrees

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by The_Jelly, May 25, 2008.

1. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

I've been looking at a lot of programs and they offer double degrees. Judging by the name its horrible difficult. Anyone have any experience with double degrees? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. dragong87

dragong87 Well-Known Member

im doing one right now :p
    they sound horrible but aren't if u do the work (and there's alot of work). u can do less subjects easch semester, drags on ur course a little more but when u finish u have better qualifications.

3. FungShui

FungShui Well-Known Member

Make sure you can utilize both degrees. If double majoring doesn't provide much benefit then it isn't worth spending the extra time. If can choose similar majors that are some course overlap.

I was planning to double major in Mechanical and Aerospace engineering. However I told it was redundant because mechanical engineers can work as aerospace. The both majors has a couple classes that over lap. if face, I would have to take 7 more classes to get my 2nd degree.

4. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

HOW DO YOU MEAN DOUBLE DEGREES..?!?!....DO YOU HAVE LIKE 2 BA HONOURS...?!....-huh

IVE HEARD OF JOINT HONOURS....BUT YOU STILL ONLY GET ONE DEGREE..

5. dragong87

dragong87 Well-Known Member

double degree = do both degrees and graduate with 2 degrees at the end. :p

6. brown_bear

^ OOOooOO WOW.....THAS MUST BE UBBBBBER HARD WORK....GOOD LUCKY TO YOU GUYS WHO'S DOING IT...(Y)

7. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

double degree, you get 2 degree after you grad, it is much faster, and I heard the workload are quite the same as doing one degree

8. bbes

bbes Incredible

isn't a double degree the same as joint honours. i think it is.

9. robsh

robsh Well-Known Member

i got a friend who did a Joint Mathematics and Computer science
    he said its not too bad since u r gonna do math in computing already why not do a little more and get a dual degree
    but u really have to love math for this one

10. brown_bear

NOT REALLY...JOINT DEGREE MEANS YA DOING TWO SUBJECTS LIKE BUSINESS AND I.T...BUT YOU STILL HAVE 1 DEGREE THOUGH....I THOUGHT...-huh

SO DID YOUR FRIEND HAVE TO ANOTHER YEAR TO HAVE 2 DEGREE'S...?!...:confused:

11. fly2dasky

fly2dasky Papaya

Joint honours means 2 major in one degree while double degree means you graduated with 2 different course...

12. Chibi12

Chibi12 Well-Known Member

wow, that would be soooo confusing, my biomed. course sorta took up all my time so there was no way i could have dne another degree at the same time!

13. robsh

robsh Well-Known Member

he did all of it in 3 years, doin both at the same time,got a math degree and a computer science degree
    u will need 4 A in A-level

14. andrienne

andrienne Member

i am doing a double d in econs & finance and the other is accounting. i thought it would be triple major but it turned out to be two different degrees and certs as i consulted from my seniors and my sister who did it. i need to spend another extra year to obtain the other degree and the workload is just about the same with one degree.

15. darc_angel

darc_angel Member

i do a double degree....actuarial studies and law...talk about hard work huh

16. mwai007

mwai007 Well-Known Member

is double degree the same as a conjoint degree?

17. i.kry

i.kry Member

Tertiary education systems vary across the borders so just as some of you have never heard of a double degree before, I have never heard of a conjoint degree or joint honours.

I'm undertaking a double degree now (B. Commerce / B. Science). I will graduate with two degrees, and a single major for each degree. I chose to do this because science had always, and still is my strong point and aside from my parents wanting me to do commerce, I thought it would be a good idea too.

Depending on the double degree you're taking the workload will vary. If your two degrees are similar in content or application you may find that some things overlap so the workload isn't too heavy, otherwise hard luck. *pat pat*
    Generally, those undertaking a double degree don't have room for electives - they can only do the subjects which contribute towards their majors. Also the time needed to complete a double degree is usually more than the time taken to complete one single degree, but shorter then the time needed to complete two single degrees (i.e. one undergrad + one postgrad).

18. rockman3

rockman3 Well-Known Member

double degree~~ is there such things of double master then~?

19. azn822

azn822 Well-Known Member

I plan on going concurrent, I'm currently in my schools Marketing program--I want to get into Finance or Economics.
    ________
    Carry

#19 azn822, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  20. koolbeans14

koolbeans14 Member

i did the double degree thing when i was in college. here we call it double majors. it was A LOT of work. i was in class from 7:00am - 7:30pm 4 days a week. with classes and labs, i didnt have time for a job except for work study with my school which wasnt really work......more like a paid study time. i was burnt out but im happy i did it. now im at a great internship at a hospital and hopefully when im done, work on getting my masters (which will be paid by the hospital when im hired!).

so my advice.....do it if you dont mind not having much of a life for the next 4 years.