Economics

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by Wukung, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Wukung

Wukung Well-Known Member

I am in first year university microeconomics and I am stuck on the parts about marginal cost, average fixed cost and average variable cost. I don't really understand the concepts and how to find them.

Here's an example:
    Units of Output: Total Cost:
    0 5
    1 11
    2 16
    3 20
    4 23
    5 25
    6 26
    7 28
    8 31
    9 35
    10 40

Refer to the table above. The average fixed cost of producing 5 units of output is? the answer is 1... why?

Refer to table above. The average variable cost of producing 10 units is? the answer is 3.5... why?

2. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

is there any data missing?

3. Wukung

Wukung Well-Known Member

nope thats all they give you =[

4. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

0 5
    1 11
    2 16
    3 20
    4 23
    5 25
    6 26
    7 28
    8 31
    9 35
    10 40

add up the differences (5, 6, 5, 4...) in the left column and divide by 10 you get 3.5, this would be the ave. variable cost i think

i dunno how to do average fixed cost.. its been like 2 years since microecon

5. Wukung

Wukung Well-Known Member

thanks! that really helped

6. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

yeah, by left column i meant right

7. DaChinaGuy

DaChinaGuy Active Member

even thought some1 has already explained this.. this is just a basic maths questions.

i dont mean to be rude or anything. its just the way i talk. i will try and explain and hope u understand.

1) Why is average fixed cost for first 5 units 1? well its obvious i think.

First step. what is average fixed cost? well fixed cost is the cost incurred regardless of output. from the table u see that fixed cost is 5. even if u produce nothing it will still cost u 5. now u know what the fixed cost is.

Therefore, the average fixed cost is fixed/no of units. So the average fixed cost over 5 units is simply the fixed cost divided by 5. therefore 5/5 = 1.

2)Some has already answered this but again the answer is striaght forward.
    Define variable cost and average variable cost.

well variable cost is the the cost incurred as u produce more and more (definition is probably not that great).. Well u know that total cost of producing 10 is 40 and u know that fixed cost is 5. therefore Total variable cost for 10 units is 35 (40 - 5). so since average variable cost is just total variable cost/ no of units. its just 35/10 which is 3.5

note that total cost=total fixed cost+ total variable cost.