English poetry help

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by fookjay07, Oct 9, 2008.

1. fookjay07

fookjay07 Well-Known Member

anyone know what this poem is about or whats it talking about? i need help:no:

Stealing-huh

The most unusual thing I ever stole? A snowman.Midnight. He looked magnificent; a tall, white mutebeneath the winter moon. I wanted him, a matewith a mind as cold as the slice of icewithin my own brain. I started with the head.
    Better off dead than giving in, not takingwhat you want. He weighed a ton; his torso,frozen stiff, hugged to my chest, a fierce chillpiercing my gut. Part of the thrill was knowingthat children would cry in the morning. Life's tough.
    Sometimes I steal things I don't need. I joy-ride carsto nowhere, break into houses just to have a look.I'm a mucky ghost, leave a mess, maybe pinch a camera.I watch my gloved hand twisting the doorknob.A stranger's bedroom. Mirrors. I sigh like this - Aah.It took some time. Reassembled in the yard,he didn't look the same. I took a runand booted him. Again. Again. My breath ripped outin rags. It seems daft now. Then I was standingalone among lumps of snow, sick of the world.
    Boredom. Mostly I'm so bored I could eat myself.One time, I stole a guitar and thought I mightlearn to play. I nicked a bust of Shakespeare once,flogged it, but the snowman was the strangest.You don't understand a word I'm saying, do you?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Its by Carol Ann Duffy

> Based on a real event
    > The thief steals and destroys but cannot make anything.
    > He wants to do things to escape boredom but hasn’t the willpower and self-discipline to do them
    > He sees the consequences of his actions but has no compassion for his victims.

3. fookjay07

fookjay07 Well-Known Member

gotta find a teacher or some sort this is hard i dont even understand this poem

4. He steals to feed his boredom, he does things just for the sake of seeing others miserable, his life is tough and he wants everyone else to feel the same pain as he does, he may have lost something close to him and wishes for everyone to feel the same.