Finding a Job

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spider-man, Apr 18, 2015.

1. spider-man

spider-man Well-Known Member

Hey PA members,

I want to create a thread for members who are starting to look for a job and maybe get some advice from other members.

I'm a Computer Science student. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to become an Android application developer. I'm currently learning how to develop from the main Android development website. My friends and I are starting to develop apps as part of our working experience and maybe we can start a small company from this. I'm pretty sure now a days, companies additionally need apps as another source for users to interact with the company. Is there anything I should be aware of? I mean come on, who doesn't like apps? I also need some encouragement and motivation from you guys. -smart

#1 spider-man, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. zylo

zylo Well-Known Member

Competition is tough. So to stand out make a online portfolio and spread the word. Make sure the code is easy to read and commented. Do you know source control if not learn. Ie git. If you use git why not share some code on github, it gets ppl looking. also you code fix other ppls code on there. Lastpiece is go to hackathons meet ppl build links. Good luck.

3. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

I would say don't limit your self to Android apps, have a bit of knowledge in developing Apple apps and Lumia apps. A lot of company nowadays wants to maximise reach to all operation systems.

But don't also count programming for desktop to be obsolete as well, have some knowledge of that on the way.

4. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

ive heard linkedin accs are handy for finding jobs these days

5. There is definitely a market for mobile app development, but most companies are looking for a cross platform app so they do not segregate their reachability. Keep in mind, app development is a lucrative business and as such the price companies are willing to pay big bucks for a well developed app. I would suggest you familiarize yourself in a lot of aspects of UI/UX design. Ease of use can make or break an app.