Food Thread

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by Maverick, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Restaurant: Marton -chef

Address: 184 Wenlin Rd, Shilin Dist, Taipei (台北市士林區文林路184號)
    Telephone: (02) 8861 4384
    Details: Credit cards not accepted. Chinese menu

Marton theme restaurant, named after the Chinese word matong (toilet), has become a hit in Taiwan since its opening in May last year. It's unusual theme is proving a draw for customers eager to eat food off plates and bowls shaped like Western loo seats as well as Japanese "squat toilets".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody been there?

2. lee-lee

lee-lee Well-Known Member

never been there. but i find it odd and weird. i dont think i could eat from there. i don't think i could handle eating food out of a toilet. the pic with the urinal and ice cream...ugh...making me nauseous...
    i do have a question tho...i've never been to asia. do their toilet look different from western toilets? i thought it was all basically the same...

3. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Yes, there are regular toilet like in western world. But there are also toilets without a seat. You need to be in an "invisible" chair position to do it. They say it is cleaner this way.

4. lee-lee

lee-lee Well-Known Member

like squating?

5. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Yep. The idea is that you will not touch anything and that is considered more hygenic.

But now back to the top of this thread: FOOD!!!

#5 Maverick, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  6. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

Yes, squatting. Its more hygenic alright.. Its the reason why people use it. But not the reason why it came about in the first place.

The traditional asian toilet is just a hole in the floor. Since people were so used to it, the toilet bowls were thus designed for squatting and not sitting. Squatting helps the process too.. so its actually easier to do it in that position.

But now most of the public toilets have both sitting and squatting toilet bowls. Most private toilets are sitting.

7. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Guess I choose the wrong restaurant to start a food thread with -cry2
    Everybody is talk about toilets now-shrug

8. Loreen66

Loreen66 Well-Known Member

So that means we can eat and digest our food at the same time XD

9. xiaojia

lol.. isn't that the highlight of that restaurant? haha.. can't help it if thats what catches our attention..

Post another one! haha

10. OmgZ -lol
    I would feel so awkward if I went there

11. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

... looks like this thread has just gone down the toiliet-cry2

12. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Wait, what's the topic actually? Talk about food in general or Healthy Food? If it's just food in general, there's enough in The Lounge but if you say this is actually a thread about Cool Restaurants then it's a good one.

For now I'll treat this as the Cool Restaurant thread and can't help to ask: How was the food there? :p

13. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Yes, I wanted to start a thread with cool or special restaurants.
    This will enable PA members who are going to a foreign country to pick the best restaurants.
    And not just go to the McD on the corner.

I hoped that people who went there can rate the restaurant.
    Or that people who visit a restaurant make picture and post them here to share the experience with others

14. taichi_masta

taichi_masta Well-Known Member

I just noticed...picture number 3 looks like the squatting toilet!! lmao

15. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

... it is *sigh* a Japanese squating loo ...

16. xiaojia

haha.. ok.. I shall give it a try:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Ya Kun Kaya Toast coffee shop. Basically sells the traditional breakfast one can get in most coffee shops in S'pore and M'sia.
    Bread + egg + coffee/tea

#16 xiaojia, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  17. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Looks good. What is the origin of this toast?

18. xiaojia

lol.. you just got me there.. I dunno. Just know that its the traditional coffee shop breakfast one can get ever since young.. or even my parents generation. Probably influenced by the west?

19. don

don ello

that looks wheird....i wonder if the food is anygood

20. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

We stumbled into this theme restaurant by chance in Fukuoka last year.
    [​IMG]

My drinks, had no idea what I was ordering but they had these funny names like Crazy Doctor Imikawa Mix, Poison nr# 5, Instant Dead etc.
    [​IMG]

You literally didn't see a thing when you first step in to the restaurant so you have to use your hands to feel your way to the receptionist through heavy, dark curtains. Someone will lead you to a free jail in the cavern. (yeah ugly flash light, but otherwise you can't take a decent pic in there)
    [​IMG]

If you're a real chicken, you'd better return 'coz you have to walk over this 'looking through' aisle.
    [​IMG]

And all of a sudden the very little light that was available in your jail will go out and there are also walking/escaped ghosts/monsters walking around and banging on your jail grilles. Lots of screaming Japanese girls but it couldn't scare us...we were laughing or ass off! :D Was cool to notice this black light creature on our wall that appears when the light went off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]