Getting bad marks on an assignment you worked really hard on

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by ha_jennie, May 4, 2009.

1. ha_jennie

ha_jennie New Member

Today i received back marks for an very important assignment. There was a word limit on the assignment....i didnt know that tables were included in the word count ( the supervisor ended up suggesting to put it in appendix next time rrrraaa) and in the end i didnt get marked for the last 750 words of my assignment ..for a 2000 word assignment ....i had a shit mark ...just managed to past. But just the thought of having answers to my last 3 question not included piss me off!! SL

2. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

well i'm not gonna be bitchy and say that you could have asked about whether tables are included in the word count or not...
    on the bright side you have passed and like your professor said there's a NEXT TIME and at the end of the day although you didn't get the mark that you wanted but you PASSED as i have already said lol
    or you can always ask your professor and see if you are allowed to do a referral/resit of your assignment although you will get a limited mark for it tho (but then every uni is different tho)

3. If the tables have words in it then it counts. word counts are to prevent the lecturer from having to read a load of waffle so that will include tables, sound like the table was pretty big too.

Dont know what to say really, live and learn

4. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Ah well. There is nothing you can really do now but to accept whats been given. Just learn from this mistake. There is always a next time.

5. tiffystars

tiffystars Well-Known Member

yeeehhh i hate it tooo
    especially when you revise crap hard for some exams ... and then a rubbish mark comes out.. and it just feels like..with all that effort, nothing came out of it??
    =________="

I feel your paaaainn....

6. bbgirlsum

^feel priviledged that you have passed....

7. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

Happened to me once for my french essay(we only have to write only between 250-400 words) and i didn't have time to count the number of words.when i got my results,my teacher told me i wrote too much and she had to stop correcting at 400words...

8. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

oh i been there lol.

hurts and made me furious haha.

lesson to learn :)

9. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

it happens every time for me...i work hard on an assignemnt and see fobs with slitghyly higher marks even tho their grammar sux

10. hahahahaha

11. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

Not to be an ass, but you were careless in not asking about these kind of requirements. Just don't forget next time. :D

12. bbgirlsum

surely G was like one of them no1 1st students :p

but then i don't really care baout my marks this year as it doesn't count to the whole degree :S
    40% FTW!! -rockon

13. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

wait... wut? u guys overwrite? lol

i dun get how people can overwrite... just get to the point people...

honestly look at op's rant... she's used the word "assignment" 3billion times more than necessary... and u dun need to say "very" important... just important is enuff -.-;

14. bbgirlsum

^ some people who havent studied the subject enough will needto blag!

15. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

yeah i bullshit a lot too... but not so much i go over lol... girl was over 750 words... i don't BS 750 words... that's like z0mfg OVERKILL... =/

16. intraland

intraland Well-Known Member

working hard on something then getting a bad mark, i can sympathise with you; but the reason for the bad mark being not following guidelines, i can't. careful if this type of marking scheme/guideline comes up again, markers can pick at anything to try and dock marks off.

this makes me wonder then, would words inside flow charts/diagrams/pictures also count towards word count? most likely they won't be selected when you do "select all", unlike tables.

17. bbgirlsum

lol my BS only gets me maximum 300 words over.. sometimes 100 words less :p
    but still get at least 50% in the space of 2 and half hours work lol

18. Got straight A's, i think i was the first to get an A* in my college. *puts away trumpet*

19. bbgirlsum

told you that you are one of those students loool

20. u quoted to soon :p

i also did a lot of work to get it, doesn't come easy -woot2