Help!!!

Discussion in 'Vietnamese Chat' started by mia77, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mia77

mia77 Member

question"
    If you are US permanent Resident (green card) do you need passport to go visit in Vietnam, and you were actually came from Vietnam?

anybody in that situation...my best friend's parents in that situation...and they will fly less than 2 weeks...Please help!!!!

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

They have to fly in less than two weeks and they don't know this info? LOL... Either they very religious (trust everything to a higher power) or else they're really... well, never mind... But they're cutting it dangerously close. If they need to get a Visa of some kind they may not have time to do so. Some countries may take up to 6 weeks to process applications.

Generally, one needs to call the US state department for questions pertaining to getting (back) into the US, and the embassy of the foreign country for which travel is intended. Coincidentally, most air carriers servicing those regions will also have the information that you're asking. You may also find that info on their respective web pages.

In this case, you're saying that they have Permanent US Residency, but are not US citizens (yet); I believe (but don't assume that I'm right) that generally, they need to carry the travel document from their country of origin, that is, wherever they're citizens of. Since they're from VN, I'm assuming that they need their VN passport to get into VN and their US Green Card AND VN Passport to get back into the US. If this is not the case, eg like they're born in VN but were Canadian citizens and then moved to the US, etc., then they should contact the VN consulate for requirements.

Word of caution: Never ever "assume" anything (based on how its done in the US) and think that the same applies in ANY other country, especially a communist one. The country is theirs, and they make the rules (which are often arcane and byzantine). Good luck, and I wish them a safe trip :)

Ralph

#2 ralphrepo, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. mia77

mia77 Member

well, thanks for the information...i will tell her that, and actually i'm going to be on the trip with her too, i'm fine...b/c i'm US citizen....
    and yeah by the way, we all (me, her and her family) already get visa to enter Vietnam...i guessed we alright.
    I know we require to have visa to enter Vietnam.....i just need to know do they need passport
    I heard somebody said, if they are VN citizen they don't need passport to go but they do need passport to come back to US.
    So I just make sure,
    That's why i looking for VNese that travel to VN with a green card....to get information.

4. ralphrepo

If they're VN citizens, my limited understanding is that they still would need VN travel documents to prove that they are VN citizens; that is, they need their VN passport. They just won't need a visa to get back into a country that they are a citizen of. On the return leg to the US, they need a passport to show where they are from (what country they're citizens of), and then the US Green Card (allowing residency) will take the place of a Visa.

eg. If they show up in VN with only a US Green card and no passport of any kind, they can claim that they are from Saigon (or whatever) and it won't matter. They will be detained by the authorities for trying to enter the country without legitimate travel documents. What that means for them depends on the particular country (not sure about VN); some countries may make you pay a fine and then give you temporary papers; others may put you in jail until your family hires a lawyer to clarify your identity and plead your case. Even after all that they may sentence you to a term in jail before letting you go. Also, some countries allow their national ID card in lieu of a passport. However, I would clarify this before even getting on the plane. Like the old saw from the movie Wizard of Oz, "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..."

BTW, Just re-read what you wrote, and you stated that they already have Visas to enter VN; so I'm assuming that they have their passports too (as the visa is usually stamped onto a page of your passport).

Good luck, and enjoy your trip ;)

Ralph

#4 ralphrepo, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. mia77

mia77 Member

well, i asked the people that helped us get Visa said that they don't need passport...but if they have it...it's ok...they can bring the expire one...(have passport but expire)
    The green card prove u a vietnamese citizen b/c they said where were u born on it.
    and also the visa said where were u born too and what is your citizen of.

6. ralphrepo

Great! Have a wonderful trip then, and post lots of pictures when you get back ;)

Ralph

7. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

co su vui dua o Viet nam

8. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

wtf? u said u wanna eat a duck in vietnam????

9. winton

winton Well-Known Member

eat chicken so cheap lol

10. mia77

mia77 Member

i heard chicken in Vietnam had problem....so

and i don't think kdotc tried to tell me to eat duck....i think kdotc tried to wish me have fun in VN....am i right?

11. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

dung!!! =) ya.... have fun in nam

wTF ... u go be a duck hahahaahahaha

12. from what i know anything animal with two legs like chicken and duck have problem. try dog instead

13. serryhuang

serryhuang Member

i have no idea