How do you get started with learning to cook?

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by uryu, Feb 5, 2008.

1. uryu

uryu Well-Known Member

iono if this was posted before, but i might as well ask this question since i've been loitering around this topic for quite a bit

hmm yeah, so i wanna learn how to cook, i know the best way is through the parents, but i get in the habit of being so tired from class and stuff(i live at home and im in college) that i just either nap at the time in which my parents cook or im in front of computer trying to relax

i know how to make like.. eggs and rice lol that's bout it ^^ i was thinking of taking cooking classes, but really, who needs that if you just wanna learn the basics =P
    any suggestions on where to start? (i was thinking about buying books, but usually, the book will end up on a shelf collecting dust cause i'm too lazy to go step by step trying to make something delicious ^^)

2. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Find someone who will cook for you?

I don't know, it's a habit thing... I hang around when my parents cook, in fact, I hang around the kitchen whenever ANYONE is cooking (even at house parties, you can't imagine the kind of gossip you can get in the kitchen, they kind of assume that you are trust worthy the minute you hang around the kitchen, it's quite fascinating)

Or learn to deal with the aftermaths (i.e.: gastronomic disasters).

But if you say you don't hang around the kitchen after school or whatnot, it's unlikely you will ever learn (from your parents). I am sorry to be blunt but only when you head out and live by yourself and have to either cook or starve, THEN you'll just pick it up like a breeze because it's actually urgent.

3. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

yea find a friend who will be willing to teach you to cook
    it's like a hang out session
    and good food to eat with persons

just offer to pay for the groceries

4. frostshards

frostshards Well-Known Member

the internet for recipes. follow nistrutions, learn from mistakes.

5. bbes

bbes Incredible

i agree with frostshards the internet has many recipes which can read and follow. also there are cooking programs on tv too which u can follow. then all u need to do is to make sure u have all the food for the meal. alternatively u can always experiment urself. that way u will still improve ur cooking skills though that can be quite costly if u waste a lot of food. though common sense does help u to cook decent food without u knowing that u had the capability.

6. JinnyJin

JinnyJin Member

i agree its REALLY fun cooking with friends
    Thats what sparked my interest in cooking, by baking with a friend and finding out that fun it is
    THAT...and i love to watch cooking shows xD

7. tiffer858

tiffer858 Well-Known Member

i learned to cook from my parents when i was like little. so cooking things are pretty easy or you can just watch someone cook and like observe thats how i learned

8. neko-pochi

neko-pochi Well-Known Member

Are you sure you wanna learn cooking? If you're too lazy to learn steps..... You don't seem very much motivated.

Books are okay, but for a beginner, you should learn from watching someone and then trying with that person and then by yourself. Seriously, there's nothing better than having your parents teaching you. They care about you learning to cook. And they would be totally happy to help you so spend some parent-kid time. Cooking doesn't demand much effort, it's quite relaxing IMO. Stick with your parents on the weekend and cook with them. I hope you understand that you will need to put in some efforts, ne?

After getting the basics, you can watch some cooking tv shows and make those recipes. (Starry Kitchen is very nice. :D)

9. tiffer858

tiffer858 Well-Known Member

^ yes. exactly. your parents are nice to show you things and if you mess sumthing up they won't like yell at you but if you have a teacher that is not nice and very very serious about cooking then that is another story...

10. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

it was a mandatory course in my program

11. ahwai83

ahwai83 Member

u learn by experimenting
    hahaha
    as long as u dun burn ur house down then is ok
    but make sure u cook for urself first until u feel it is gud la thn onli let other ppl taste
    or not u might get some nasty remarks

12. uryu

uryu Well-Known Member

that's what im afraid of lol burning myself or something :p but if i learn from my parents, i get less motivation since i learn their style, which is what i ate all my life =.=

13. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

books, people and just jump right in.

14. hahah I kno.. learn the family secret cooking techniques and 'Fat Yuen Gwan Dai' with it! -lol

lmao.. omg who added this.. this is sooo bad.. :wackit:

15. tsunamig0d

tsunamig0d Member

I learned to cook when my parents stocked the fridge with a whole bunch of groceries and then left for China. I had to make dinner for my brothers or we would be eating cup noodles and I would let all the stuff in the fridge go bad. After that I just browse through allrecipes for stuff that looks good. Usually I see whats in the fridge and see what I can make with it. So my advice is to put yourself in a situation where you would starve if you don't cook food =D

16. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

You learned writing from all your teachers in the past, does your handwriting look like any of theirs? You need to get the basics down before moving on to actual "style of cooking"...

Plus, aren't you bored with instant and parents food already?

I have known people who will starve instead of going into the kitchen to cook. They practically survived on instant food for a year; my bet is that their life span was reduced by roughly 10 years from all the additives.

17. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

first you gotta :wackit::wackit::wackit: then you gotta:spank::spank::eat:....you know what i'm saying.:wiggle:

anyways i think if you want to learn how to cook, get a cook book or something or just try out things, you never really learn how to cook better unless you learn from your mistakes. too much of this spice or whatnot. then you learn to use a certain amount later on and eventually you'll get used to it. ever heard of practice makes perfect, that's what you should do.:biggthumpup:

18. Phil

Phil 香港 PA 社團 揸Fap 人

lol, trying to impress someone, it actually turned out better than i thought haha

19. tien317

tien317 Well-Known Member

Find some1 to teach u...ur fren,mum or auntie...

20. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

i watched cook shows.

about 1 year ago, well 2006, during saturdays and sometimes sundays i was soo bored so i turn on the TV and watch Everyday Food, American's test Kitchen, etc. all the cook show. and I kinda have an interest to it. XDD
    they taught u great techniques.

then i tried on myself......haha.