How to Fix The Xbox360 Ring of Death

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by fearless_fx, Jul 19, 2007.

1. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

[youtube]cIARuzFOExc[/youtube]

used to do this to my NES and Super NES lol

2. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

haha yeh thats the way to get any broken tech working, never fails :D

3. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Amazing footage, but if you get the real Ring of Death.

Ring of Death can only be fixed by Mico$oft.
    Ya need to send it back for repairs.
    Please note: There is a big chance that ya will not get back your original Xbox!!!

4. rewqdsa

rewqdsa Well-Known Member

To fix it you will need

A roll of electrical tape
    8 or 12 pennies depending on how much pressure you want to apply (I used
    Kit to open an xbox360 (T10 and T screwdriver to open hardrive.

So what to do is get your self some electrical tape and some pennies I used 8 pennies = 2 pennies for each replacement thermal pad for the ram

So cut the electrical tape long enough to wrap around the pennies. I wrapped 2 bits of tape around each twice

When you have your 4 replacement pads, Double up some tape i.e so its sticky both sides then attach them to your motherboard

If you cant quite get the pennes to stick on the chips try a hot glue gun and slightly dab it on the back of the pennes and stick it on.

When you have finished that re assemble your xbox360. Put back all of the screws including the gpu and cpu heatsink (x-clamp) screws and do them all up nice and tight
    When you have fully re asembled your xbox360 try starting it up. If it doesnt work and you still have 3 red lights don't worry (yet). This is when you need to apply heat.

. Put a towel down and place your bricked 360 on it (and plug the system in and the AV cables).
    2. Cover ever all the air openings and the whole console.
    3. Turn your 360 on, wait about 10-15 min.
    4. Turn off your 360, uncover 360 and wait 15 min (or untill cooldown)
    5. Turn system on, and it should work now.

And then its working again!

*note this info was taken from http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25717121
    There is also pictures too

5. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

6. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

eff that...i just sent my 360 bak yesterday

7. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

when in doubt..go all caveman on it..

8. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

prolly voids the warranty to open the case and fuck around with it.. i wouldnt do this

9. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

And did ya get back your own Xbox???
    Or a different one?

10. hhhmmm im not sure if my 360 got ring of death.... if you got it will you see the effect on ur games first use? or you see it after you played the game a few times?

11. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

The ring of death is basically that 3 LEDs are lighted.
    As far as I know the problem is caused by bad design of the Xbox motherboard.
    Due to heat, the connections on the motherboard got disconnected.
    In many footages on Google, you see people sqeeuze their Xbos.
    That is to try to get connection again.

12. i thought the ring of death is that the laser of the 360 touches the game cd so it will make a ring and in the end destroy the cd Oo

13. reflection

reflection Well-Known Member

It's nice to see MS finally admitted it and threw in the big bucks for the new warranty policy. They should also make revisions for a new line of 360s that resolves these "ring" and disc scratching issues, or have they already announced and implemented that?

14. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^im sure they are fixing the problem since its so big, it will cost them more to ignore it than just fix it now, in terms of money and reputation