Hubble photographs grand design spiral galaxy M81

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by master_g, Jan 21, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

The sharpest image ever taken of the large "grand design" spiral galaxy M81 is being released today at the American Astronomical Society Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii.

A spiral-shaped system of stars, dust, and gas clouds, the galaxy's arms wind all the way down into the nucleus. Though the galaxy is located 11.6 million light-years away, the Hubble Space Telescope's view is so sharp that it can resolve individual stars, along with open star clusters, globular star clusters, and even glowing regions of fluorescent gas. The Hubble data was taken with the Advanced Camera for Surveys in 2004 through 2006. This colour composite was assembled from images taken in blue, visible, and infrared light.

If you've got the bandwidth, you can download the 706MB version of this image of spiral galaxy M81, showing individual stars, open and globular star clusters, and fluorescent gas clouds from 11.6 million light years away.

Credit: NASA, ESA and the Hubble Heritage Team STScI/AURA). Acknowledgment: A. Zezas and J. Huchra (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)

Fullsize Original
    706,082 KB
    Massive file!

lil verson
    21,431 KB
    Meh

2. i got the full size, you can do some crazy zooming on stars and galaxies

3. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I'd rather download a picture of Stephy, you can also do some crazy zooming on, well... -tongue2

Nice pic BTW, looks like real screensaver or background material.

4. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

this is gold ralph, pure gold. (Y) how could i have not known you were a Stephy fan?!

5. -Tisken-

-Tisken- Well-Known Member

wow thanks for sharing!! im downloading this ~

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Shhh... Please don't let Mrs. Ralph hear you... :ohnoes:

#6 ralphrepo, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  7. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

wow .. it's a huge file .. i was thinking about downloading it but takes too long .. perhaps later when i have nothing to do .. consider it then .. lol .. thanks for sharing nevertheless.

8. ehm.. i cant open it o_O

9. Piyoyo

Piyoyo Active Member

Wow! thx for sharing! It's really beautiful-clapclap

10. rofl, you should be able to, standard image viewer that comes with M$ OS will open it.

thank you too (Y)

11. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you need at least 4 GB ram to open it.