Improper use of formulas

Discussion in 'The Mysteries of Love - 談情說案' started by tjsye2, May 29, 2010.

1. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

In Episode 5 (31:00-31:02), Prof. King (Raymond) wrote formulas to explain light refraction/reflections and lens. He used the H-field formula, H=(B/u0)-M and magnetostatics equation, [​IMG];
    [​IMG]. This formula has nothing to do with light refraction or magnification. Instead, the director/producer should use any one of the lens equation/magnification. This is purely bad use of science. At least consult a physics major if they want to save money to properly and correctly portray the brilliance of their physics character, Prof. King.

What do you guys think?

#1 tjsye2, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

It'll be great if they did use the correct one but most people don't and won't know any of it anyways...

3. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

@EvilTofu: I agreed with you, but I get really irritated at the inconsistency of formulas!

4. kevin

kevin RAWR!

I guess it abuses the knowledge of those who knows the formula and as a result, they "cannot see it through their eyes" eh.

I agree with eviltofu, even if they done it right I wouldn't have understand any of the formula/equation anyway, but as you said, it could mislead the meaning. Nuff said haha.

You got good eyes for spotting that out in the time difference of 2seconds.

5. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you try to put fake science past Chinese kids, LOL...

6. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

I knew something looked odd in those formulas, I'm not a physics major so thanks for solving my problem =)

but yeh its not like people in HK watching the show knows the formulas anyways =\

7. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

I'm not a physics major, but just finish my physics Calc based course at my college. Instead of drawing out some random calculus based physics formula to make the character more sophisticated or formula-oriented, In my opinion, they can pay couple of bucks to a physics major or any physics personnel to help with the formulas or consult a textbook or Wikipedia to get the correct formulas. How hard would that be?

I always thought HK or most people in Asia in modern society were much stronger than any Western nations around the world in science and math.

8. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

This. I just think physics is cool, but its not like i know any of the formulas anyway.

9. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

who the hell cares..

10. mizuKAZE

mizuKAZE Well-Known Member

good they used the wrong formules and you noticed.. THere had to be something just to discuss about this serie. Now there are more threads of this serie. Thanks -.-"

11. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

No one is perfect. There will always be flaws.

12. Salem

Salem Active Member

they just put the formulas there to awe ignorant people. It's a tv show, you can't really take them too seriously.

13. onni

onni Well-Known Member

haha, i guess the producers/directors thought it could pass other viewers' eye.

14. silentjess

silentjess Well-Known Member

i don't really care about that portion cos like advertisements, everything is fake so it doesn't matter if its exact facts. hehehe. i concentrate on the handsome actors more

15. imisztvbx3

imisztvbx3 New Member

-ohmy he wrote it wrong?

16. ozchilli

ozchilli Well-Known Member

I only concentrate on the overall story lines and not to the minute details so it doesn't really bother me if they used the wrong formula. Having said that I do agree that the overuse of formulas in trying to prove certain theory is so annoying

17. e11ing

e11ing Member

Lol...I don't think the audience would have even noticed.