Jackie Chan Not A Fan of 'Rush Hour'

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, Sep 30, 2007.

1. [​IMG]
    Sunday September 30,2007 USA

It's the movie that put Jackie Chan in the major league in the U.S., but the Hong Kong star isn't a fan of his successful action comedy franchise "Rush Hour."

Chan said when he made the first installment of the "Rush Hour" series in 1998 he only wanted to test the U.S. market and didn't have high hopes.

"When we finished filming, I felt very disappointed because it was a movie I didn't appreciate and I did not like the action scenes involved. I felt the style of action was too Americanized and I didn't understand the American humor," Chan said in a blog entry on his Web site seen Sunday.

The actor said he made the sequel because he was offered an "irresistible" amount of money to do it and made the third installment, which was released recently, to satisfy fans of the series.

Chan said "Rush Hour 3" was no different from the first two installments for him.

"Nothing particularly exciting stood out that made this movie special for me ... I spent four months making this film and I still don't fully understand the humor," he said, adding the comedic scenes may be lost on Asian audiences as well.

Chan's comments came even though the "Rush Hour" series, which revolves around the racial humor stemming from the pairing of a Chinese (Chan) and a black (Chris Tucker) police officer, helped the action star cross over to mainstream American audiences.

"Rush Hour" was Chan's first movie to break US$100 million (€70.53 million) at the U.S. box office, earning US$141 million (€99.4 million), according to the box office tracking Web site Box Office Mojo. "Rush Hour 2" made US$226 million (€160 million) and "Rush Hour 3" has earned US$137 million (€97 million) so far.

Chan has been known to be blase about his Hollywood work. He said in a 2005 interview with The Associated Press that he uses the high salary he earns in the U.S. to fund Chinese-language projects that he's truly interested in.

He also recently showed little enthusiasm for his latest Hollywood project, "The Forbidden Kingdom," which marks his first on-screen collaboration with fellow action star Jet Li.

"The movie I just shot with Jet Li, 'The Forbidden Kingdom,' actually isn't that great," Chan was quoted as saying by the Web site of China's official Xinhua News Agency.

"'The Forbidden Kingdom' is a movie made for Americans," the report quoted Chan as saying. "Chinese viewers may not like it. If I say it's a good movie now, then many people will be filled with overly high expectations and be disappointed when they see the movie."

credits: asianpopcorn.

2. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

Lol....ok nice to hear that he doesnt like his own movies....=/

3. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

"The movie I just shot with Jet Li, 'The Forbidden Kingdom,' actually isn't that great," Chan was quoted as saying by the Web site of China's official Xinhua News Agency.

fuk, i was hoping it would be epic >_<

4. chimagun

chimagun Well-Known Member

lol at least he's honest.

5. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Wow, i never knew he had that kinda feelings, good for him to be opened up :)

6. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

i knew he didn't really like to do rush hour and all but jackie's being too honest. I know he's a legend and all but saying he is just in it for the money somewhat disrespects the viewers, i have always liked jackie chan movies, but it's a little arrogant. If he doesn't like the american movie projects nobody is forcing him to do so, he can always go back to china to make movies.

7. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

wonder why he said this even before the movie is out.. there might be some hidden reasons behind it.. who knows..

8. dreyvii

dreyvii Well-Known Member

He might have underrated his movies so that the viewers don't get their hopes too high. When you have expectations and they're not met, that's when you point fingers and say it's a failure.

9. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

lol... oh well as long as the audience enjoys it

10. skinnydragon

skinnydragon New Member

if he didnt' like it why did he make rush hour 2 and 3?? i don't get it

11. rockman3

rockman3 Well-Known Member

Well, I personally think that Rush Hour 1 and 2 was good... But Rush Hour 3's ending was no good. Probably it did not end the way of most Jackie Chan's movie supposed to end... So eventually I do think Rush Hour 3 was over rated after watching it... It is good but not the ending....

As he had said, The Forbidden Kingdom was produced mainly for the American market, which might not be good for Asian market as it is portrayed in a different style which makes Jackie not comfortable with the movie.. We all know Jackie is considered as the 'Brother of Chinese' where he always promote united Chinese in everywhere

12. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

eh... at least chan's honest

13. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

I thought he said something like that after before, well when he finished filming Rush Hour

14. MONEY TALKS.

15. Rainingwendy

Rainingwendy Member

indeed he is honest but he is saying it from his point of view, I mean I saw rush hour the 1st one it was kind of making fun of both of their backgrounds he is asian and chris is african american, so I guess he does not understand what is so funny about that.

16. Mixie

Mixie Active Member

RUSH HOUR IS THE BOMBBB! i'm finally heading to watch the 3rd one at the cinemas this sat!

17. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

satisfy fans or was offered "INSANE" amount of money?

18. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

At least he knows his Hollywood movies suck.

19. honkiebonkie

honkiebonkie Well-Known Member

Well, it says that he was offered an incredible amount of money for the rush hour movies.
    So even if he DIDN'T want to do it, the money forced him too.

20. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

after watching so many chan's movies, i practically know what his next moves are after the previouse ones...his popularity in the US market is mainly beacuse of his martial art skills and is not something that is very often shown in american movies...and i totally agree on chan that many american jokes, I, myself don't get either...is hard to have one to have interest in a movie when the culture is very different...