Japanese Fast Fod Names

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by conundrumdg, Apr 22, 2007.

1. conundrumdg

conundrumdg New Member

At Kiosks usually near train stations, food vendors serve a cake that is filled with an beans or a vanilla pudding mixture. They also sell fish shaped cakes filled with cheese. What are these called in Japanese? The cakes are made half at a time and the person making them flips on half onto the other to make the whole cake. These are sold hot and are very delicious. I would like to learn the recipe for these as well, including the fillings.

2. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Oh, I never heard of them with fillings of cheese, usually they are red bean paste... @_@b

BTW they are called Taiyaki (鯛焼き) for those with red bean paste.

3. conundrumdg

conundrumdg New Member

Eki Foods

Yes, that is what I meant by "an". they are also filled with a thick vanilla pudding. The cheese ones are not round like the bean and pudding ones, they are usually in the shape of a fish. I have seen them specifically near the Ikebukuro station in Tokyo.

4. hiake

Really? The cheese ones are just a variation of the Taiyaki (shape of a fish).

Probably some of those you talked about are Maju? Is the cake outside white or browned?

5. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

hey.. I love those cakes.. really nice.. but those sold in s'pore are totally non traditional.. other than red bean paste.. there is chees.. chocolate.. kaya.. blueberry.. etc.. but all taste great!

hmm.. well.. the original should taste better.. never tried that b4 though

6. hiake

I want to go visit Asian soon with all these food tempting me >_<b But alas, no money to travel!!!

7. xiaojia

^lol.. and mav is just not helping, showing us all the places he has been to.. so jealous!

8. hiake

I know TT_TTb I want to visit Europe!!!

9. xiaojia

^ Europe is huge.. back to the idea of backpacking then.. haha.. cheapest way..

10. hiake

I have to swim across the Atlantic to get there... I am THAT poor...

All these food make me hungry...

11. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

I ate quite a lot of these but haven't encountered the one with cheese filling. I do try to avoid those red bean paste at any cost, it's something disgusting Asian countries tend to use a lot in their pastries. Whack. :(

12. xiaojia

Disgusting Asian countries??? -noclue

Hope you didn't really mean what you wrote.. cos that would have been rather offensive.

o wait.. you meant 'something disgusting, that Asian countries...' right?

haha.. then its fine.. Its a personal preference. I love that disgusting filling. Awesome :)

13. hiake

Those red bean paste fillings can varies from amazing to really gross, depending on whether they use real beans or just an artificial mixture...

But yeah, I am a fan one way or another -^_^

14. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Haha, the 'digusting' was referering to the red bean paste ofcourse, forgot to put a word between it hehe...

15. hiake

I miss cream puff... the Japanese style would be filled with SO MUCH cream it's the archenemy of dieting :p

16. xiaojia

Beard Papa? awesome..

[​IMG]

17. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

^OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH! That looks delicious!
    I've bought something similar but they weren't freshly baked, just the stuff you can get in a box -and of an inferior quality- in a supermarket. Pictures on the box suggest a puff with a large creame filling but in reality it was more dough than filling and it was dry.

But I spent 5 days in Tokyo and on 4 mornings on row I went to the 7 Eleven around the corner to get those freshly baked cheese puffs in Japan. -tongue2

[​IMG]

18. hiake

Cream puffs!!!

But alas, at least I can have all the eclairs and meringues I want (since I discovered a bakery in my neighbourhood -^_^)... if that's any consolation.

19. xiaojia

o yea.. I love chocolate eclairs too..

[​IMG]

although these look a bit weird..

20. hiake

The pastries part look a bit browned =_=b But it's GOOD especially if the cream is clotted cream (not whipped cream) HMMMM, way to clot your artery.