Learning Cantonese

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by rirawin, Feb 8, 2011.

1. rirawin

rirawin Member

I'm a BBC, and I embarassed to say this but my Cantonese is very poor. With my mom ill I like to learn Cantonese to I can communicate better with mom before she passes. She knows I love her but I like to express my feelings and just have a chat with her.

So far I got Pimsleur Cantonese but is there any books on yesasia which can help me.

Thanks

2. Flower

Flower Well-Known Member

Watch Cantonese television shows. The best way to the communicate more in Cantonese.

3. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

you can't really learn cantonese and get better by reading books unless you're really good at "ping yum"...get cantonese speaking friends AKA fobs if you would like to call them or just start speaking cantonese to your other family members

4. ///M

///M Well-Known Member

Here is a start, by watching...[video=youtube;MVvOi-JLidE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVvOi-JLidE&feature=fvsr[/video] -batman

5. ultim8camper

ultim8camper Well-Known Member

^ you know what .. that is pretty good ........

maybe you should pick up some berlitz books with cd they tend to be really good with other languages and watch tvb drama .... ive been watching it all my life and im bbc and i would say my chinese is pretty good .. only bad thing is that i cant read or write .. but im trying to learn it by reading sub titles in tvb drama .... agaian .. ITS VERY USEFUL

6. kevin

kevin RAWR!

My friend bought one (he's not asian) and I listened to it, I lol'ed. It's jokes cos the way they are saying it sound pretty unprofessional, therefore it is important to do some research before buying. Check peoples reviews!

+1 to the TVB series, it's really good and it's prob easier to learn than mandarin since mandarin speakers speaks relatively fast and therefore hard to read the subtitles as it goes too fast.

7. aDreamR

aDreamR New Member

i cant speak Cantonese that well too T___T
    so embarrassing... I guess the best way to learn Chinese is to watch Chinese shows with subtitles

8. i learn alot from watching cantonese news lol yea its weird but their speech is more proper and not as slang as chinese shows/movies.

hearing helps but you have to try and speak it maybe wrong but your parents can correct you along the way :)

9. The Lone Moon

The Lone Moon Well-Known Member

Watch TVB series!!!!!!!

10. spider-man

spider-man Well-Known Member

I'm going to Chinese classes to learn. That helped me.