Man Jailed For Eating Rare Tiger

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by AC0110, Dec 24, 2009.

1. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

A Chinese man has been jailed for 12 years for killing and eating a rare Indochinese tiger.

[​IMG]

Kang Wannian, a villager from the southern province of Yunnan, said he had encountered the tiger while out fishing, and killed it in self-defense.

The animal may have been China's only wild Indochinese tiger, which is on the brink of extinction.

Four other men were jailed for sharing the tiger meal and covering up the incident.

Kang was confronted by the tiger in February while gathering freshwater clams in a nature reserve near China's border with Laos.

He said he shot the animal after dark and claimed that, at the time, he did not know it was an endangered Indochinese tiger.

According to local media, Kang was sentenced to 10 years for killing a rare animal plus two years for illegal possession of firearms.

The court in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan province, also ordered him to pay a fine of 480,000 yuan ($70,000; £44,000).

Fewer than 1,800 Indochinese tigers are thought to be living in the wild, in the forests of Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Burma.

The only known wild Indochinese tiger in China was photographed in 2007 at the same reserve that Kang visited.

The tiger has not been seen since Kang's meal, and there is speculation that Kang could have eaten the last one.

Source

----

I guess if it wasn't rare, would have been legit...
    I bet it taste like chicken

2. blkperc

blkperc Well-Known Member

haha. hes the modern wu song xD

i guess you can't waste good meat >.<

3. .Cameron

.Cameron Well-Known Member

There goes the last one in China. In a meal... >.<

4. in response to the avatar above

*oh god not charlene too!

5. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

id like to try grilled panda.

6. robsh

robsh Well-Known Member

its called survival of the fittest
    it is the weapons we create that made us the dominant species
    but still if its really that extinct shouldnt it be in captive or something
    i think he is unlucky to be caught eating it

7. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Good point.

I mean, how does he know it was an endangered animal. I don't even know how to tell which tigers are on the verge of extinction. What if it really did attack him and he had to resort to self-defense... assuming he didn't eat it, I wonder if he would still be jailed for killing a rare species.

8. haun

haun Well-Known Member

If he hadn't eaten it and reported the incident authority then he would probably avoided the jail term and just get a few thousand dollars fine instead.

9. lacrocq

lacrocq Member

Unfortunate for the man...

10. a4agent

a4agent Well-Known Member

What a expensive meal, man. If the man didn't know 12 years is too harsh.

11. tkt138

tkt138 Active Member

That's a little too harsh for killing the tiger in self defense. They should give him a metal for not wasting food = tiger :)

12. WahFai

WahFai Member

Yeah, I kind of agree that it would have been worse to waste the dead tiger by not eating it...

But it's also not self defense if the tiger wasn't actually attacking the man. Maybe the tiger was lonely seeing as it was the only one left in the area!!

13. rowdy331

rowdy331 Active Member

i dont believe he was getting attcked. plus he could have killed it but not have consumed it.

14. sunsfan12

sunsfan12 Member

china's so strict! this is what happens when there are no laws.

15. iiimj4everiii

iiimj4everiii Well-Known Member

i can't tell the diff. it looks like a regular tiger to me.

16. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, the article from the BBC is dated 22 December 2009

"...when there are no laws" ???

Excuse me, but what part of Endangered Species or illegal firearms did you not understand, LOL...

Animals only make it onto an endangered species list if it becomes illegal to hunt, kill, hurt or interrupt their habitat in any way; and it is illegal for private citizens to to own or possess firearms in China. Thus, our hapless villager broke two very important laws. To be honest, I too, (like respondent Rowdy331) doubt the veracity of his self defense story. He was probably purposely hunting the tiger, whose body parts sell for tremendous amounts as they are used in rare but traditional Chinese medicines. He got off rather lightly in my view.

IMHO, if anything, China is probably the most legalistic that it has ever been since the Qin; it is a nation that wholly rules by law, which is, btw, what makes it so strict.

One has to imagine that if one lived in an area that is indigenous to specific fauna, I suspect that I would have some inking where legalities of hunting certain species lay. The issue of hunting tigers in China has had a long history; if I had to bet on one or the other, I would venture that he knew perfectly well what he was doing, along with the illegality of his acts. That is, a normal person does not usually go fishing with a gun in hand.

#16 ralphrepo, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  17. Sh4rP

Sh4rP Member

I would eat a tiger just to say I did.

18. wildboar

wildboar Member

yeah,. i also think why he has a gun with him to go fishing... hoping to meet a tiger -nono

19. tvb_man

tvb_man Member

Very expensive meal

20. kevin

kevin RAWR!

^
    Very. Now that should teach him a lesson not to possess an illegal firearm during fishing and not to eat something without research.