Ms Excel Spreadsheet Help

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by iris, Sep 4, 2008.

1. iris

iris Well-Known Member

Any help with some knowledge in MS Excel is appreciated.

Basically I want to multiply the 3 variables in column B by the other columns or other wise known as multiplying the matrices as my professor calls it.

But what I don't understand what I am doing wrong is why the formula is not sticking? Screenshot one shows the formula I want to do for the rest of the columns. Screenshot two shows that it's multiplying the wrong columns together. I can only manage to get the formula right if I manually go in and change everything which is what I did for column D. My professor says I will be dealing with many series on an exam and we won't have time. Can anyone spot an error in what I am doing?

In short, I want to have the formula in each slot read (Column B*Column C), (Column B*Column D) and so on.

Screenshot 1: http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7358/excel1us0.jpg
    Screenshot 2: http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8382/excel2fx0.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Note: I've tried dragging the black box from the active cell from which the correct formula is placed, but that still gives me the problem in screenshot 2.

2. FungShui

FungShui Well-Known Member

Try using this equation : "SUMPRODUCT(B$38:B$40*C38*C40)

By adding "$" after the column designation fixes those values. In short they those values won't change as you drag the equation across the row.

Hope that made some since. ><

3. iris

iris Well-Known Member

Oh jeez, I totally forgot about that -_- It's been a while since I did any real functions in an excel spreadsheet. I was frustrated over this for days :p

thanks very much!

4. FungShui

FungShui Well-Known Member

Haha. No problem, I tend to forget functions from time to time too.