My ps3 is currently has a broken blu ray drive

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by loztxoul, Sep 24, 2009.

1. loztxoul

loztxoul Well-Known Member

i was wondering that i recently call sony and to fix my current ps3 was for $150 and a new one would be $300 does any one have a good idea on what to do in this situation? the ps3 that currently have is the 60gb model.

2. with that kind of price... you might as well get you a new ps3 slim..??

look around your area see if there are any repair shops.. shipping it back and forth and having to pay that much is too much of a hassle..

3. loztxoul

danxs for the for your opinion

4. Wukung

Wukung Well-Known Member

5. shadowsoul

shadowsoul Well-Known Member

if u got lots of ps2 games get it fixed cuz its a 60gbs
    or try n fix it urself for like 50-70 depending where u order the drive
    other wise get a new 1 for 300 plus u get an extra controller n ebay the 60gbs for like 100 or something around that price

my ps3 also died on me n im on my 2nd 1 as well

6. i think they're planning to do ps2 emulation.. so the old 60gigs arent gonna be that special anymore...

but yea.. if you got games to play.. no point it waiting and having to deal with shipping..

7. mysterial111

mysterial111 New Member

try to get warranty

8. bbes

bbes Incredible

yea repair is never cheap in USA or Europe. in asia it would prob be wise to get it repaired but elsewhere it tends to be quite expensive due to the high labour costs. also, if it was some other component which caused the drive to break down, repairing could be a waste of money unless the other component is also replaced. so better to prob get a new machine, the slim is out now anyway. having said that i thought ps3s weren't too bad in reliability. i thought that xbox 360s however are not very reliable. the 3 rrod seem to be quite common.

9. loztxoul

wish my ps3 was in warranty but it's 4yrs old! man this sucks

10. Agent1234

Agent1234 Member

Yeah you're probably better off getting a new one. Who knows how long a refurb they said you will last after fixing it. I had the same problem too, my bluray drive broke just a few days after the warranty expired. Had to get a new one....

11. yea.. but i mean at least your hdd still works.. back up everything so you can transfer to new one..

12. KZxBlades

KZxBlades Well-Known Member

If you can find a repair shop I would do that. If not just buy a new ps3 blu-ray drive off ebay and install it yourself. Should cost around $50-70 like shadowsoul said.

13. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

is it within the warranty period?

14. loztxoul

nope it's not witihn it's warranty