need help starting at intro

Discussion in 'Random / Offtopic' started by Aznguy123, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Aznguy123

Aznguy123 Well-Known Member

I've been sitting on my computer for 2 hours.. i haven't thought of any ideas how to start this prompt...

how do toys socialize children into their gender roles...

some opinions would be nice

2. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

Have you brainstormed?

Girls:
    I see a lot of games and toys on TV like Barbie, Designer games, and virtual Baby dolls. All these baby dolls reinforce the idea of the maternal woman. A woman should be the one to take care of the child, while the man goes out and earns the money. Games like the designers one limit the amount of choices in life available to women. A girl should have this job, or this job, or this one. As for the Barbie... Pretty self-explanatory.

Boys:
    As you can tell most toys targeted towards young boys are more on the violent side. I.E. action figures. Karate Chop action and w/e.... the boys become more violent and then proving the sterotype that males are more violent than their female counter parts. Also there are a lot of sports related toys and games. They are basiclly just saying the guy should be the strong and athletic one.

That was just a quick brainstorm, so you might not find it helpful. If you're still having trouble just turn on the TV or go on a Toy Store site and look at all the different types of toys and games that represent sterotypes and models for both males and females.

3. make an outline first

after you make an outline, you should be able to see what your arguments are in your essay.

the second half of your intro will consist of introducing those arguments.

as for a hook, well.... thats all up to you lol

just dont write a question as a hook. makes the reader seem as if you dont know what youre talking aobut..

4. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

this is pretty easy i think:

girls: toys that have something to do with fashion, feminine colors and cuteness. also some sort of toys that are peaceful. they help them associate into their gender roles because according to public views that's what women are supposed to be, elegant and caring about beauty.

guys: toys that show signs of masculinity. toys that have a violent behavior/ hence the phrase "action figures" like something that can prove themselves to be tough. somewhat toys the opposite of the girls or toys that are not wanted because of the beauty of it's looks but more of their representation. like guys crave symbolism in their toys while girl craves the toys physical (beautiful/cute) appearance. Associate them into their gender roles to be more controlling and also tough i guess.

Back then it was kinda cars collection vs. barbie collection. also guys toys are more "competitive in nature" than girl toys like just going thru tea parties and shit like that.