NYC - No Tipping @ a Japanese Restaurant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by negiqboyz, Jun 10, 2013.

1. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/nyc-sushi-restaurants-ban-tips-perplexes-diners-181622826.html

I really like this idea and hopefully, every where else in the US will follow the practice. I hate the current tipping system. I don't mind tipping; however, all of the dining places try to cheat patrons with tips. We know that tip should be calculated before tax but all of them do so after tax. With the tax increase, the tip amount to almost a quarter of the meal tab.

For example: $100 + tax (say 10%) + fees (drinks, leftover boxes) x 25% (18%-20% standard) tip added for party of 5 or more (count baby as 1). Some even charge you extra fee for certain seat in the restaurant. It's freaking stupid.

Anyway, I love the idea of paying what you ordered and not worrying about other charges. Keep it a simple and fun dining experience.

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I saw this earlier today, and though I agree with the idea conceptually, I wouldn't count on its wide acceptance by the industry any time soon. The underbelly of all this has always been that eateries have long denied workers a living wage; instead allowing them a chance to beg from the eatery's clientele as a way of "compensation" as it were. I also find the 'surchargers' to be the most annoying; it's amazing how they can come up with a panoply of distinctive reasons why they can charge you something extra. This shows me that the restaurant is more interested in generating income than selling customers good food. I make an effort to purposely avoid businesses that do that.

ADDENDUM: After a few days, I read this article that appeared in the BBC; it offers some good insights into this whole gratuity habit of Americans: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22846846

#2 ralphrepo, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013