Pets and their add to a financial situation

Discussion in 'Random / Offtopic' started by smallrinilady, Dec 7, 2007.

1. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what people think about people owning pets and how it effect one's financial situation

I know they food doesn't cost that much, neither does their collars, their shots, their litter (for cats) and what other supplies they own

My friends are engaged,
    the guy is working two minimum paying jobs, the girl can't get a job (because she's too stupid to pass a JC Penny interview) that's like a cheaper department store, and they live at the guy's parent's place
    the guy is working two jobs so he can pay off the engagement ring

and i wonder, they JUST got two kittens
    although owning a cat seems not to pricey, once one thing happens, can't it trinkle in more and more expenses?

it's kinda like that thought, i want to have a baby, but can i raise it with the income i am making?

would you guys ever think about this when it comes to getting pets?

2. shw

shw Well-Known Member

your friend must really love her...

3. ah_wong201

ah_wong201 Well-Known Member

having pets is kinda like having a kid. you have to take care of it. feed it. keep it clean. have time for it. love it. etc..... if u can't take care of a pet, it will be hard to take care of a kid.

4. reno

reno Well-Known Member

it def does add up!!

time and spending company with the pets is the main cost
    its kinda useless if u have a pet if u don't do anything with it!!

its like on average, if u take it to the vet for a consult its atleast $50aud, then wateva else they need
    stupid worming tablets are like $6+ each, and the vet usually subscribes a pack of 6-10 =/

then if u consider desexing, thats like around $500
    microchipping + registration with the council is another $150 odd

those are just the initial upfront costs

then the food
    true u kinda think they can only eat so much, but then it depends on what type of food u get it as well?
    and also u gotta keep in mind, u go out to work in morning, u need to feed it breakfast b4 u go, and u dun wanna forget abt that...
    then if u end up going out for dinner after work with friends, then they starve also...
    lots of things to take into consideration!!

then if u wanna groom it, they're pricey =/
    a trim + wash is like 100+