PS3 preorders lead to eBay avalanche

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by hadouken, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Hours after retailers shut down preorders for the 400,000 launch-day PlayStation 3s, auction sites explode with offerings averaging $1,500 a pop.

By Emma Boyes

Posted Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm PT

Last November, eBay was awash with listings for the hard-to-come-by Xbox 360. Now, enterprising auctioneers have been placing preorders for the PlayStation 3 and then immediately preselling the console themselves for a huge profit on eBay.
    GameStop announced yesterday that preorders for Sony's next-gen console were now sold out, with some stores only taking as few as six orders. Eager customers had been queuing for hours outside stores to pay their $100 deposit, which guarantees them one of the first 400,000 US-bound PS3s.
    Sellers have been posting photographs of their receipts to confirm their preorder, along with publicity photos of the hardware and a list of technical specs. Seller ajballa21 said: "I stood in line for hours at GameStop to save you the trouble." Another seller, taralee1114, claimed that they had waited outside their local GameStop store all night to get their hands on the console on November 17.
    Others claimed to have bulk-bought all the store's designated pre-orders for themselves for the purposes of reselling them, no doubt disappointing others who were waiting behind them in line. Dubamoinc wrote: "I waited in line at GameStop this morning (10/06/2006) and i am the number one person on the pre-sale list which means i am guranteed a PS3 on november (sic) 17th 2006. I have 4 pre-orders in and I am guranteed (sic) ALL of them that day." Other sellers targeted Europeans, who won't be able to get their PS3s domestically until 2007.
    This isn't the first time that canny consumers have taken advantage of a shortage in gaming hardware. Back in 2001, eBay was loaded with PS2s at highly inflated prices, with consoles changing hands in Europe for around £1,000 (about $1,800). As previously mentioned, Xbox 360 preorders were being sold on from their original buyers for $1,500. Some unscrupulous sellers took advantage of desperate buyers by selling them photos of the Xbox 360 instead of the actual console.
    The average going price for the PS3 on eBay today was also in the region of $1,500, although one hopeful punter had given his console a 'buy-it-now' price of $100,000. They hadn't had any bids as of press time.

2. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

i literally cry from laughing if these suckers brought a dodgey ps3

i dont really see the point in this as for one its gonna get cheaper soon and also the 1st batch might be dodgey from bugs, i think it happened to the ps2 when it was released, my mates ps2 was, they had to buy another -lol

i remember someone trying to sue microsoft for a dodgey xbox360 before when released

3. omg wtff... they're selling PS3 Email accounts... how fukin stupid is that???

Can't wait to see a Smash my PS3 video... that's gonna be freakin hilarious...

so lame pple create all this hype around next-gen consoles...

4. zcorpio

zcorpio Well-Known Member

If I had been able to get away from work and stand in line to preorder one then sell it for at least 2k!!! That's 150 dollars/hour!!! >.<

5. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

i mite go preorder 1 or 2 of this if it sells for 2k

6. dennyszeto

dennyszeto Member

I can't believe someone today reportedly paid $15000 on ebay for a PS3 ?? And a short while after Sony announced it will start weekly shipments starting next week. If i was that guy i'd be kicking my self VERY VERY hard !!

7. volkly

volkly Well-Known Member

If some people are so impatient as to buying something at outrageous prices, they deserve the kick. I'll gladly wait for a few months. The launch titles are available for other consoles as well, I guess its people who have too much money.

8. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

some people like to have the first thing that comes out since it makes them cooler

9. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge Well-Known Member

I will have 10 PS3's next week!!

60GB Japanese version with Ridge Racer

Anyone from the UK want one!!!

10. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge Well-Known Member

Cost me enough loot!!

Thats why I'm asking £650.00GBP

Save you all the hassle of getting one over and worry about delivery, customs, taxes etc!!!!

11. xxilk

xxilk Member

ps3's cost will go down in like a yr or 2.... ppl are so crazy right now >< lining up for 2 days just for 1 ><