PS3 protocols are old

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by Dragon*D, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Dragon*D

Dragon*D Well-Known Member

Recently tried out three new models of modem routers but find that two are ISP fragment incompatible:band:. This is solved by MTU maxed to 1500 synched manually on PS3 and router to connect online gameplay, but problem arises when you try to connect to your buddies for party play, you can't join them-kekemad. So I reverted to my old 54mb G-router and all is fine. (I use wires for best stable connection, PS3 wireless just not upto scratch)

Routers tried are makes of Belkin N1 (No party play), Linksys N (Times out often), Netgear N draft 2 (Best of 3 but still issues persist)

So I wouldn't suggest to router upgrades if you use it for PS3 Party gaming online unless you know what settings needed.

Appreciate any advice to these problems or if anyone has experienced this share your experience.

2. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

So far iv run a belkin G+ router, my 2Wire wireless modem and am currently using a Dlink Wireless N Xtreme router for my networking. All of them have worked, with varying degrees of quality on my PS3. As my router is in my basement, i get a pretty shitty connection % of only about 67 on my playstation. Initially my belkin router was working great, but after about 2 months it started dying fast and i would get dropped connections all the time, i'm chalking it up to belkin being a poor quality product and will probably never buy from them again.

My wireless modem works fairly well, but i wanted to get wireless N to support my macbook so i upgraded to the Dlink Xtreme N (which does have a default MTU setting of 1500). This router is pretty sweet so far, i get solid coverage anywhere in my house, and my ps3 connection never drops and stutters much less during high quality video; the 3 antennas with MIMO probably helps.

Unfortunately, as the PS3 can only support the Wireless G protocol, its almost impossible to watch true HD quality vids over wireless, which annoys me to no end. AS soon as a vid hits about 8 mb/s my connection freezes for a few seconds while things buffer... its reminds me of when i used to use real player :(. In terms of gaming though, i've never had any problems with any of my routers.

The moment sony releases a Wireless N dongle for the playstation, i'll be the first one in line.

3. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

Also, if your using a wired connection anyway, you might be best to use a router with gigabit ethernet ports, this should lower your ping significantly and hopefully help with the party gaming.

4. Dragon*D

Dragon*D Well-Known Member

Thanx.
    I found that the Netgear DGN2000 was the best with the playstation and my wireless with my other devices are working strong (signal) and fast. Best of both world.