PSP catches fire

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by dickson, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dickson

dickson Well-Known Member

There have been several incidents of lithium-iron batteries catching fire, but they’ve mostly affected laptops. On Wednesday, however, 12-year-old Henry Clay from Detroit found that his Sony PSP burst into flames in his pants pocket, Vnunet reports.

On Click On Detroit, the boy’s mother, Sheila Clay, explained, "He said it wasn't a gradual heat. It really started heating up. He's always been taught burn - fire - smoke, you drop and you roll. So, he dropped and rolled."

The handheld wasn’t on, as it was nine a.m. and the boy was in class. A teacher was able to remove the PSP from his pocket, and as a result Clay was treated for second-degree burns to his leg. In a slightly ironic touch, the Burn Out game was in the handheld at the time.

Sony has had battery fire problems with its notebooks before, but not a PSP. If this turns out to be the tip of the iceberg, it could seriously hurt its position against other devices like the Nintendo DS.

2. Ouch. Thats gotta hurt... Funny thing is the game in it was "Burn Out" Lol. I better be more careful with my psp then? XD

3. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

4. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

law suit!! my psp used to turn on once in a while by itself

5. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

i believe that person was using 3rd party battery though.. psp battery never get hot.. well to me..

6. Qui-angel

Qui-angel Well-Known Member

I agree probably 3rd party battery ^^ my psp is one of the first batch and ive had no problems aparty from the Square button feeling funny and dunno how to fix =[

7. fookjay07

fookjay07 Well-Known Member

yep the boy probably had some fake sony battery cos mine had never been heated up
    or hot b4

8. bbes

bbes Incredible

if its a third party battery then the boy is unlucky and has no case. if it was a sony battery however, it prob end up with a lawsuit.

9. a case for MYTHBUSTERS -coolio

10. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

24/7 gaming will cause this to happen

11. bbes

bbes Incredible

haha its gods punishment for playing so much and not concentrating on studies

12. Asher

Asher Member

Maybe it was just a hot day. I spontaneously burst into flame often.

13. michael0904

michael0904 Member

Oh damn.. pretty funny how the game burnout was inside though XD

14. XDTP

XDTP Well-Known Member

thats hella funny. oh the irony...

15. cheebee333

cheebee333 Well-Known Member

I always fully turn off my psp. Just in case!

16. bbes

bbes Incredible

if u want to be extra careful, just remove the battery lol.