Sheren Tang to Sacrifice Filming “War and Beauty 2″ for “Rosy Business 3″?

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Sep 1, 2011.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

8310_500.jpg

TVB’s two big trump card dramas, War and Beauty <金枝慾孽> and Rosy Business <巾幗梟雄> not only brought TVB’s ratings skyrocketing through the roof but also won several awards and launched the careers of several fadans and actors back then. Both dramas were renowned for their titles and the benefits they brought to their cast.

Producer Jonathan Chik (戚其義) and Lee Tim Sing (李添勝) have invariably decided to start filming continuing installments for War and Beauty and Rosy Business respectively. As these two series rocketed their previous cast to fame, many fadans and actors fought to stand out, hoping to snatch a role in them.

As for these two dramas, Sheren Tang (who must make a good decision and choose one over the other) was currently busy filming dramas in mainland and diligently “digging gold” there. Furthermore, Sheren’s role as Concubine Yu Fei in War and Beauty was extremely likable among the audience and had received rave reviews for her performance. However, Sheren still failed to clinch the Best Actress award at that year’s TVB Anniversary Awards ceremony, which left her feeling dispirited and thus still unhappy over it. Allegedly, Sheren didn’t display a positive reaction towards re-joining the War and Beauty drama team to appear in the sequel. In contrast though, Sheren immediately signed up for the third installment of Rosy Business without a word since the first two series garned her TV Queen awards two consecutive years in a row.

Sheren Tang’s Yu Fei Is Indispensable

The 2004 TVB blockbuster hit, War and Beauty, was re-broadcasted during the midnight slot in Hong Kong. The average ratings were at 7 points (approximately 430,000 viewers tuned in). Its force was indeed extremely tyrannical! In recent days, TVB carried out plans to shoot a sequel to War and Beauty. Executive Producer Jonathan Chik declared that the original cast would return to act in the series. However, Gigi Lai (黎姿) was currently enjoying life as a socialite after getting married to wealthy businessman Ma Ting Keung (馬廷強) and had since retired from showbiz, more or less confirming that she will no’t be returning for the sequel.

As for Bowie Lam (林保怡), he didn’t renew his contract with TVB. Hence, the original cast of War and Beauty who have temporarily been confirmed for the sequel were Charmaine Sheh (佘詩曼), Moses Chan (陳豪) and Maggie Cheung (張可頤). Even if new cast members such as like Ada Choi (蔡少芬), Tavia Yeung (楊怡), and Kate Tsui (徐子珊) were added, the most pressing issue at hand was whether Sheren Tang’s Yu Fei would re-join the War and Beauty cast.

Rosy-Business.jpg Back then, Sheren’s performance as Concubine Yu Fei was highly raved by everyone hence the sequel couldn’t do without such a prominent character. However, it was no easy task for producer Jonathan Chik if he wanted Sheren back in his sequel. It was known that golden scriptwriter, Cheung Wah Biu (張華標), will return to TVB in October and had already been working on the script together with Tim Gor, thus confirming plans for Rosy Business 3. Although Rosy Business 3 will only be starting filming next April, War and Beauty 2 will start filming early next year. The production time for both series was closely knitted together, thus the chance of Sheren accepting both dramas was slim.

Sheren Tang Already Had a Consensus With Tim Gor

Back in 2004, despite her role as Yu Fei in War and Beauty receiving high praise from everyone, Sheren Tang only won a subtle “Best Supporting Actress” pork award. This allegedly left her with grudges even until today. On the other hand, the first and second installment of Rosy Business made Wayne Lai (黎耀祥) and Sheren Tang TV King and Queen respectively and for two consecutive years in a row. Wayne also experienced a dramatic career revival through Rosy Business, which enabled him to bring along his wife for shooting of advertisements.

Last year, Sheren accepted filming for mainland drama, New My Fair Princess<新還珠格格> for a shooting fee of $4 million Yuan. In recent days, apart from rushing to promote New My Fair Princess in mainland, due to her rising popularity, Sheren was also busy filming another mainland drama, City of Falling Snow <傾城說>for a filming fee of $50,000 RMB per episode.

An insider revealed, “Actually, both Ah Chik (Jonathan Chik) and Tim Gor contacted Sheren but she said she had to assess the situation first. In fact, Sheren had previously reached a consensus with Tim Gor. Although filming in TVB would mean a low pay but Rosy Business brought Sheren the TV Queen award for two consecutive years. Hence, Sheren had already privately told Tim Gor that she would definitely help him.

“As for War and Beauty, Sheren might not act in it again because firstly, taking time off her mainland filming is tough and secondly, Sheren herself said that this drama ddid not “bring luck” (老黎) to her. We also truly understand that in actual fact, Sheren really minds about not being awarded the Best Actress Award at that time.”

Two Trump-Card Productions

In the last few years, TVB’s two blockbuster dramas, War and Beauty and Rosy Business raked in remarkable ratings and was highly acclaimed in Asia. Those who had participated in the dramas experienced a massive surge in their popularity and even swept away all the TVB awards. This made Poducers Jonathan Chik and Tim Gor known as the generals that brought prosperity to their cast.

It was known that Tavia’s turn as a villain in Beyond the Realm of Conscience <宮心計>was exceptionally good, thus catching the eye of Jonathan. As a result, Tavia was arranged to act in a heavy-weight role for War and Beauty 2.

To repay her gratitude to Tim Gor, it was known that Sheren had already agreed to take time off filming in mainland to accept filming for Rosy Business 3.

A Recap of War and Beauty and Rosy Business’ Startling Success

War and Beauty

At the 2004 TVB Anniversary Awards, Sheren Tang attended in high hopes of winning the Best Actress Award, only to be left feeling disappointed when she and Chan Hung Lit (陳鴻烈) were only awarded the Best Supporting Actress and Actor awards respectively. Sheren was spotted with an expression of unhappiness.

Executive Producer: Jonathan Chik

Cast members: Sheren Tang, Gigi Lai, Maggie Cheung Ho Yee, Charmaine Sheh, Bowie Lam and Moses Chan

Episodes: 30

Highest ratings: 41 points

2004 TVB Anniversary Awards:
    My Most Favorite Male Actor (equivalent to a Best Actor award back then): Bowie Lam
    My Most Favorite Female Actress (equivalent to a Best Actress award back then): Gigi Lai
    My Most Favorite Male Supporting Actor: Chan Hung Lit
    My Most Favorite Female Supporting Actress: Sheren Tang
    My Most Favorite TV Characters: Sheren Tang, Bowie Lam, Moses Chan, Charmaine Sheh and Gigi Lai.

Rosy Business

Executive Producer: Lee Tim-Shing

Cast members: Sheren Tang, Wayne Lai, Ron Ng (吳卓羲), Kiki Sheung (商天娥), Susan Tse (謝雪心), Kara Hui (惠英紅), Elliot Ngok (岳華), Nancy Wu (胡定欣) and Pierre Ngo (敖嘉年)

Episodes: 25

Highest ratings: 47 points

2009 TVB Anniversary Awards:
    Best Drama of the Year

Best Actor: Wayne Lai
    Best Actress: Sheren Tang
    Best Supporting Actress: Susan Tse
    My Most Favorite TV Male Character: Wayne Lai for the role of “Chai Gau”
    Most Improved Male Actor: Pierre Ngo

Rosy Business 2- No Regrets

Due to their marvelous acting performance in No Regrets, Sheren Tang and Wayne Lai continued their streak of good luck and became TV Queen and King again, managing to suppress Charmaine Sheh and Moses Chan.

Executive Producer: Lee Tim-Shing

Cast members: Sheren Tang, Wayne Lai, Kara Hui, Fala Chen (陳法拉), Raymond Wong (黃浩然), Susan Tse, Pierre Ngo, Evergreen Mak (麥長青) and King Kong (金剛)

Episodes: 32

Highest Ratings: 47 points

2010 TVB Anniversary Awards:
    Best Actor: Wayne Lai
    Best Actress: Sheren Tang
    Best Supporting Actor: Evergreen Mak
    Best Supporting Actress: Fala Chen
    Most Improved Male Actor: Raymond Wong

Creds: Dramasian

2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Gotta take a break from making money sometimes. Its good to come back to TVB to please the TVB-audience with a good anticipated drama!

Its sometimes good to have a sequel after sequel, but only if they can keep the same quality. If they cant make a good storyline, then just scrap the idea of a sequel until you do have a good storyline.

3. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

good move on her part. i would have done the same.

4. ck198888

ck198888 Well-Known Member

I honestly like Sheren's acting. She did a great job as Yu Fei (better than Gigi Lai). It was great disappointment that TVB is so bias and given the best award to Gigi (against the audience's praises of Sheren).

I am happy that Sheren made the right choice to continue working with Tim Gor. He's a good producer.

5. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

is it possible to have a modern day sequel? ..if she wants female actress award, then rosy business 3 is the way to go and her salary is probably higher too

6. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

Never understand what was soo great about war and beauty only watched a few episodes, she was not well known until rosy business 3 anyways so sticking to that would be a smart move as that is basically her show!

7. kevin

kevin RAWR!

You never know when to stop making money, it's the mind motivation =p
    I demand Rosy business 3!

8. reno

reno Well-Known Member

i'm sure one way or another... could cram in both
    would be painful and hard work, but might get quite a bit of $$
    =)

9. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

lol but who even remember her in war and beauty they dont really even talk about it! When you say rosy business or no regrets though you'll remember 9 mui at least!

10. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

what u talking abt dude! war of beauty was awesome, one of my fave dramas! great cast, great storyline, what else do u want!?

Anyway, why did they add KATE TSUI!!?? and they didnt mention which male actors were gonna be in this series except for moses? This series is gonna be filled with lengluis n no lengjais -_-

11. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I think Rosy Business 3 will set after 2, but not a continuation. I do want to see a modern-type rosy business though. It'll be hard to work around the story, but i think it'll be quite entertaining. It'll be easier to write these types of story in the modern, but i hope Tim (the writer, i think) will do a modern. It may or may not work out, but i still want to see it happen.

12. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

lmao ancient dramas not really my cup of tea....lol what is in your leng jai list now? I never really watched that show cause it looked boring to me. Seemed liek a chick flick ish like that change face one from way back!

13. MissCheekS

I dun like all ancient dramas either but this one was pretty nice.... Well actually, there arent that many leng jais @ tvb, i used to be into louis koo and i used to have the hots for kevin cheng n lam fung but those two got toooo metro (e.g. eyebrows), pretty close to gay... no good!! -_-

14. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

hahaha you know you still like lam fung with that chok face! lol remember the original louis soo pale and baby faced. he the anti raymond lam lol raymond went from dark to light, koo tin lok went from whiteboy to dark manliness hahaa and he got successful because of it! kevin cheng was pretty badass in ghetto justice, never liked him before he was always a douchebag! was even worst than steven ma! but now he back on track!

15. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

what have they got left to make more of the same sequels...

won't people get bored...

16. no regrets 2! do it!

17. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

^ Nope. If the prequel of the series was good, they want to see more! Just like Laughing gor, EU wasn't enough as well with Turning Point. Need Lives of Omission and another movie!

18. MissCheekS

I liked lam fung before his eyebrows got thinner than mine lol... now he just looks awkward, n during his concerts his outfits are so faggish! Yeah, koo tin lok used to be white, thats why i started liking him when he starred in "At the Threshold of an Era" :p....

Kevin Cheng I used to like him a bit n then I didnt n yea, since "Only You" and "Ghetto Justice" he's becoming quite ok again... he is one of the better looking actors of tvb..!

19. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

I liked koo jai when he was white! haha. i keep going on and off with kevin too - didn't really liek him ghetto justcice to be honest. :/

Anyways.. i think mun lui should go and film rosy business 3 instead!

20. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Pretty much no cast left for War and Beauty, might as well stick to Rosy Business then