Space...Oceans...Lands

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Knoctur_nal, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

So...do you think its worth it that we spend billions of dollars to put a few people into space and not to mention the other billions on building a space station? Do we really need a space station with a group of people floating around in space? What good has come from it so far? Personally, i don't see the need as we haven't even fully explored our own planet yet and we want to spend so much money going up there. I feel that the money can be better spent here on earth fighting poverty and aids in such contries as africa and india...just to mention a few...hmph...i guess we are just obsessed with the unknown and the quest for finding out what is truly out there...hmph...i can guess one can view space as the next frontier once we kill this planet...hmph..what are your views?
    Knoc

2. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

personally i love space travel.. and all that. you cant always expect the rich country to always help the poor ones. its great when they do, but im pretty sure they would rather spend the money on stuff like space travel and other big achievements to show how great their country is. and im not saying that all there are countries out there that truely want to help other countries, but most help cuz that also makes them look good to other countries.

but yea helping other countries is great. the rich countries should help up to bring the standards of living around the world

3. Knoctur_nal

what...helping other countries....well then....i was aiming towards the country that is spending the money on space travel to in turn use that money to better the country..don get me wrong..i love space and every thing about it...i think i've seen just about every science fiction movie out there..haha..;-)...but is it space worth it..for now that is?..hmph...

4. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

oh. spending money on itself. well they are cutting back on NASA. its sad that they are bringing donw the hubble cuz they dont have enough money to run multiple projects at the same time.

5. Knoctur_nal

well....a slow start...but still a start...but i must admit...the hubble has taken some amazing images.....

6. Moki

Moki Guest

if they can pay for it then they can go up there.

7. Knoctur_nal

good point...but y do we need to go into space?....curiosity...advantage in war?..many reasons i guess..

8. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

a lot of the stuff they send up into space, is to study the earth. i find those satellite images for those weather reports pretty useful. but yea, most of the stuff they send up there is to study stuff that will be applied to improving life on earth

9. brownishmarker

brownishmarker Well-Known Member

lol i dont agree with the they got the money they can go up there thing, they dont have the money o_O the tax payers give them the money dont they o_O either way theyre always asken for money from the government

10. So what does everyone think about the whole missile defense thing? Should we put weapons into space?

11. Knoctur_nal

aren't there already weapons in space...hmph...i guess they want to put legit ones there now eh

12. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

yea isnt there a ban on weapons in space?

13. Knoctur_nal

or tracking satelites and spy satelites....

14. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

no those stuff are up there for sure

15. Akademik

Akademik Well-Known Member

its just a way to test the power of science and the countries taht engage in such things.

16. Knoctur_nal

the boundaries of science..where will it lead us next and at what cost....i think the past has some good examples of that...

17. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

so you saying its a negative thing?

18. Knoctur_nal

no..i'm saying its both negative and positive