Spelling is important? Maybe not

Discussion in 'Random / Offtopic' started by wind2000, Sep 26, 2007.

1. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mind! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

2. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

i read that b4 somewhere,,,cant remember tho..lol

3. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I can read/comprehend it doesn't mean that I ENJOY reading passages written in intentional typos.

It's one thing to be fascinated by the human brain's capacity, but quite another to live in constant fascination.

4. asiangang

asiangang Well-Known Member

some1 sent me an email about that before....

5. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

damn..its back again..like a reoccurring jumble..

6. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

saw that in my english class or something lol, yes it's kinda crazy.

7. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

yesh ive read this before as well....as we were told your brain will recognise the first few letters of a word becuase you have already learnt that word already thus the spelling of the word is embedded within ya memory...thus you are able to read the passage regardless of the spelling or not..also the context of the other words around it helps you the guess the word anyways...or something along the lines of that....

8. ah_wong201

ah_wong201 Well-Known Member

proper spelling is important for me cause i send a lot of recaps to important ppl at work. my boss, district ppl, and sometimes corporate ppl. if they see that my spelling is off, they'll be like what the hell is wrong with this guy. we pay him big bucks and he can't spell for shit.
    if just in general like sending emails to friends or posting in forums, i don't think its important for proper spelling

9. hiake

It became a habit for me... And surely the automatic spell checker doesn't hurt :p

10. ah_wong201

^ auto spell check works good too. it just doesn't pick up all the words. like i remember one of my trainners said that one guy was ordering shirts and he spelled shit. spell check didn't pick that up.
    if they also had grammer it would be cool too.

11. hiake

Oh how I hated grammar checker, they keep on returning errors since I always use passive voice and fragments. While the second one is guilty as charged, I don't think passive voice is a sin -unsure

12. chi_man

chi_man Well-Known Member

I still prefer proper spelling though because it was extremely annoying to read wind's post....

13. hiake

Totally agree... some standards are worth keeping...

14. brown_bear

^ annoying..-huh...did you guys not just read like normally??....

15. hiake

In fact, I am positive my reading speed is somewhat slowed with improper spelling... Not unlike how some messages which are TyPe LyKe Dis and I just want to strangle their respective authors virtually...

-devil

16. chi_man

I could understand what he has written down... but the reading itself wasn't comfortable

17. ah_wong201

i felt comfortable reading it and did pretty good with it. guess cause i'm in the US and i guess we like to short cut a lot of things

18. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

really? i only realised he was spelling wrongly after reading 2 lines or so.. quite alrite for me.. although there was 1 word i couldn't understand straight away: 'aulaclty'. it doesn't ring as 'actually'.. so i suppose there is still a certain structure that our brain recognises..

19. chi_man

you gotta be kidding me... you realised it after reading two lines?!?!?!? You sure got weird eyes...lol

20. brown_bear

ya know what hiake....i sometimes do it too...capitalise the odd letters but not short hand as such like = 'lyke'
    yeh them short hands are like ewww -lol

really...i didnt really feel that uncomftable with it to be honest..

^ yeh i just skipped past that word 'actually' as well
    but yeh it didnt have that big of an affect on me either....-huh

no not really..i didnt have a problem with it either....guess its your eyes not ours -tongue2