Super Movie Cinema Nights Edition #59 ( My Boss My Hero )

Discussion in 'Super Movie Cinema Nights Movie Archives' started by hadouken, May 13, 2006.

1. ( My Boss My Hero ) 2001

[​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Country : [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]South Korea [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Year: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2001[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Genre: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Comedy / Gangster[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Format: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DVD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Running Time: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1H38[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Distributor: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cinexus[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Director: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yun Je-Kyun [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Cast: Jung Jun-Ho, Jung Oong-In, Park Jun-Kyu [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Story: Doo-sik (Jung Jun-Ho) is a powerful leader in the underworld, he recently took over a rival gangs territory. His victory entitles him to a promotion but his boss requires that he finishes high school before he can take the new position. Thus Doo-sik is now forced to pretend he is much younger and to attend high school. Unfortunately Doo-sik is not well prepared for the high schools of today and will have a much harder time surviving there than on the mean streets he is used too. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Review: Before watching this movie the only thing I knew about it was that it had something to do with gangsters. Gangster movies are a personal favorite of mine so I guessed nothing could possibly go wrong. Everything starts off great, lots of fighting and a gang taking over another gang's territory but then a strange twist occurs and everything is changed forever. The boss of the gang has to go to high school, was this not a serious gangster movie? My Boss, My Hero is one of many recent South Korean comedies featuring gangsters in sometimes out of context situations.
    The premise for the story allows for a lot of possible humor but I had quite a bit of difficulty finding the jokes funny in the beginning. Maybe it was because the movie started off in a serious context or the humor was not so funny (a portion of the humor was at the expense of the main character). In any case during he first half of the movie I did not think I was going to enjoy it but my opinion quickly changed by the second half. The story and the movie had evolved into something more than just an attempt at making a comedy to follow a popular trend. The focus on comedy had faded and a much stronger focus on the drama and story aspect came in. The story became emotionally charged and that what made everything more interesting in the movie.

The cast of this movie was really enjoyable, there seemed to be a good chemistry between everyone. It did not take too long to warm up to the characters and their good presence on screen really helped the movie have a better feeling. When I mentioned that I did not like the initial humor it was mostly because the main character (Doo-sik) is a mob boss and now he is at the bottom of the food chain in high school so bad things keep happening to him. Rather than finding it funny I found that is sucked that this guy let himself get picked on and beat up. In any case I guess that goes too show there is a certain attachment to characters in this film. Another character I found good was Dae Ka-ri, he was Doo-sik's 3rd in command and was not the sharpest knife in the kitchen if you known what I mean. He was probably the funniest character in the movie. The overall entertainment factor was good in this movie, the beginning may have been a little rocky but by the ending all the pieces fell into place and I was happy that I had a chance to watch this movie. There was a good mix of various elements such as a very nice story, along with some good emotional content, some good and bad humor and to top it all of a little dash of action here and there. I want to just mention that I may have been a little hard on the humor, I do admit that there were some good funny moments in the movie, I leave it to the viewers to judge if they like the humor or not. As for that dash of action I mentioned, don't expect anything elaborate remember it's only just a dash for flavor. Mind you there is a nice scene in pouring rain but it seems oddly familiar, hmmm I wonder where I've seen it before. My Boss, My Hero was a very enjoyable movie. It may not be a masterpiece or anything but it has a good story and a lot of heart. This movie may also be an indirect commentary on the South Korea education system that seems very harsh with the pressure to succeed and the existence of corporal punishment. It is certainly not the first movie that has displayed this image of education. Anyhow all points counted this movie is worth checking out, certainly if you've enjoyed other Korean gangster comedies like My Wife is a Gangster.
    [/FONT]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[hide=0]
    [/hide]

2. skitlez

skitlez Active Member

thx for sharing

3. dragoon951

dragoon951 Active Member

thank you very much =D

4. LoeMpia

LoeMpia New Member

thanks a lot man, i was looking for this one

5. Angel Chan

Angel Chan New Member

thanks a lot ^^

6. ah_kin

ah_kin Member

never saw this movie...anyway thank you

7. mariela_mizar

mariela_mizar Member

Thx for the movie

8. skitlez

skitlez Active Member

9. macd keith

macd keith Member

" My Boss My Hero " is good gangsters fighting action movie and

no boring scene except there is female school girl hit by a car and

other car and her body fly in the air which I found a bit too graphical .

10. ehwin

ehwin Member

lol looks funny .. thx

11. btbob

btbob New Member

Thanks!

12. Sweet Yu

Sweet Yu New Member

Woah ~ This movie is so interesting ~ ^^ I truly love to view it !

13. jykam00

jykam00 Member

thanks alot oooo XD

14. lumines

lumines Active Member

heard its good thnx

15. okies

okies Well-Known Member

ur funny
    anyways thanks for sharing

16. TurtleJai

TurtleJai Active Member

a girl getting hit by a car and her body parts fly everywhere....that's considered boring? -ohmy

17. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

Wow... cool. thanks!

18. kyo9012

kyo9012 Member

Thanks!

19. theone123

theone123 New Member

20. 1102051

1102051 New Member

thank you so much i love this