Tang Chi Wai Leaving TVB

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Oct 27, 2013.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

tang-chi-wai-tvb.jpg

TVB music producer and composer Tang Chi Wai (鄧智偉), who has been writing music for TVB since 2004’s The Last Breakthrough <天涯俠醫>, announced his resignation from the station yesterday.

He wrote on Weibo, “To seek for my ideal music, and to make more music that I love, today I have officially left the place where I’ve worked for in the last twelve years. I want to thank the company for their guidance and support. I want to thank all the producers, artists and fellow staff who have collaborated with me. From “Heart’s Breath” <心呼吸> [The Last Breakthrough theme] to “Sequel” <續集> [The Hippocratic Crush 2 theme], I have managed to bring with me many wonderful memories of the last twelve years. I hope that you can also remember these memories, and I hope to still be able to hear that, yes, I do listen to Uncle Chi Wai’s music.”

Tang Chi Wai’s sudden announcement came shortly after TVB announced its acquisition of Herman Ho’s (何哲圖) Stars Shine International, which formed a new record label with TVB, Stars Dream Entertainment. Herman Ho is the husband of TVB executive, Sandy Yu (余詠珊), and had close ties with TVB even before the record labels merged. As Stars Dream Entertainment would be making music for future TVB soundtracks and artists, it was rumored that Tang Chi Wai feared he would lose his job.

In a later interview, Tang Chi Wai clarified, “I’ve thought about it for over half a year. TVB wanted me to stay, but I finally decided that it was time for me to leave. Now that there’s a much more suitable candidate [to make music], I can finally leave my worries behind. I want to explore the outside world, but I am thankful for the support that Miss Lok has given me over the years.”

Tang Chi Wai also said that he wishes to stay as a freelancer and is currently not signed to any company. “Even though I left TVB, there are still many other ways to collaborate again.”

Tang Chi Wai’s four assistants also turned in resignation letters to TVB.

Raymond Lam on Tang Chi Wai’s Leave

Tang Chi Wai’s good friend and frequent collaborator, Raymond Lam (林峯), stated that he would still continue to work with Tang Chi Wai, believing that music has no boundaries and a collaboration will always be possible regardless of company affiliation.

Creds: Oncc