The $8,648 Burger King Bill

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by Maverick, May 17, 2007.

1. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

The $8,648 Burger King Bill

[​IMG]
    Guadalupe Pequino of Fountain Inn, South Carolina bought $8.64 worth of food from Burger King with her Visa Check Card. Unfortunately for Guadalupe, the cashier typed in $8,648.54 as her total and the amount was debited from her account. The restaurant corrected the error, but it took 5 days for the money to find its way back into Guadalupe's account. "It was an honest mistake, and the store has done everything it can to credit the account," the Burger King general manage said.
    "It's caused her a lot of problems in paying her rent, paying her car payment, buying food," Pequino's friend, Richard White, told the local media. White spoke for Pequino, who does not speak English well. "It's caused a lot of problems. I don't know too many people that can have $8,648 withdrawn from their account and carry on normally."
    With more and more people paying for small things with debit cards, it pays to be vigilant about these sorts of things. —MEGHANN MARCO

2. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Geez, paying a $8 dollar bill with a debit card...that's just asking for problems.

3. SugaCutie0

SugaCutie0 Well-Known Member

When I first saw the topic I thought, "Wow..someone must really like BK...." lol thats a shame..at least the situation got rectified, even though it did take 5 days... I would be sooo irritated..lol

4. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Yep, Americans pay everything on credit, even a $8 hamburger

5. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

Im surprised tho that Visa didnt call for that amount of money.

6. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

And I'm surprised that she just signed the slip -what?

7. xixi

xixi Well-Known Member

yeah good point....kinda amazed that the person goes around with a visa card that has access to such a large amount of money...don't you have savings accounts? =S

8. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

@ mav. good point but its common that ppl dont check their bills when they sign.

@xixi, the amount that you can swipe depends on your credit report. some can swipe up to $30000.

9. Da-HaXx0r

Da-HaXx0r Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether it was a debit card or credit card, shouldn't there be a limit as to how much a person can draw in any one transaction? And wouldn't the bank bounce it if it goes overboard like that? o_O;;

10. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

You can set your own limit and some credit cards like AMEX don't have a limit

11. Da-HaXx0r

Oh, ok. I didn't know that because I don't have a credit card and I don't use my debit one.... I prefer cash! The asian way! (ie: From red packets) lol. >=D

12. #Azn#

#Azn# Well-Known Member

i thought this is another supersize me documentary!

13. pirvee

pirvee Well-Known Member

hmmm.....thats quite a high price for a burger.....finally a heavy tax on unhealthy food as discouragement :p
    she should have looked better on her receipt before signing.....:s

14. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

haha i thought that relli was someone's bk bill... but then realised it was a mistake from the text lol

15. xixi

xixi Well-Known Member

yeah, i guess you are right =)

16. Da-HaXx0r

Really? Which part? The bank bounce bit? Because Maverick already proved me wrong on the other part. lol. -lol

17. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Many people stupidly (?) don't check what they sign... Always thinking "well it must be right, or bottom line I can call the credit card to rectify it"

Yeah, that's why I have to have impeccable control around my AMEX... @_@bbb Otherwise disaster ensues.

18. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

... with great (buying) power, comes great responsibility ... ;)

19. xixi

xixi Well-Known Member

yeah, the bank bounce part..hihi

20. Da-HaXx0r

Hehe. Thanks. =3

hiake: I guess that's true. Most people don't check the pricing and stuff, particularly when it comes to food.... Unless when it comes to asians. They are picky about the price. lol. I speak from (family) experience.... X2