The Last Healer in Forbidden City - 未代御醫 (2016)

Discussion in 'Chinese Drama Discussion' started by shinobi, Mar 24, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

English Title:

The Last Healer in Forbidden City

Chinese Title:
    未代御醫

Genre:

Ancient/Medical

Producer:
    Nelson Cheung

Episodes:

Cast:
    Roger Kwok
    Tavia Yeung
    Pierre Ngo
    Rebecca Zhu
    JJ Jia
    Jazz Lam

Synopsis:
    After the failures of the Sino-Japanese War of 1895 and the Hundred Days’ Reform of 1898, Emperor Guangxu (Ngo Ka-nin) was removed from power by his aunt, Empress Dowager Cixi (Law Lan), and put under house arrest.

Highly-skilled physician To Chung (Roger Kwok) was called to the Imperial Palace to treat Cixi, who has been suffering from a weird illness for quite some time. When To Chung heals Cixi successfully, she grants him the title of Imperial Palace Physician, which To Chung reluctantly accepts.

To Chung develops a close relationship with Emperor Guangxu during his time in the Imperial Palace. Not only does he improve the young emperor’s health, he also helps the emperor patch up his relationship with wife, Consort Tsan (Rebecca Zhu). But despite his medical title, To Chung is unable to heal his sick and handicapped wife, Hung Bak-hap (JJ Jia).

Desperately, he seeks the bone-setting doctor, Buk Ling (Tavia Yeung), in Beijing. Buk Ling’s treatment remedies his wife’s pain. Impressed with her skills, To Chung refers Buk Ling to the Imperial Palace, where she ends up as Cixi’s personal bonesetter. To Chung and Buk Ling’s friendship develops into romantic love, but To Chung’s loyalty to his wife prevents him from pursuing the relationship further.

Buk Ling’s introduction to the Imperial Palace, however, came at a cost. She had one mission in mind, a mission that encompasses the secrets of the Qing court. But with a secret that big, would she and To Chung be able to escape from the crises unfolding in court, in a dynasty that is doomed to fall?

Airing March 28th replacing Short End of the Stick 公公出宮

Theme Song

Trailer

#1 shinobi, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

This is gonna be good...I don't think TVB ever did any dramas portraying GuangXu. Mostly all founding fathers of Qing or the middle eras of Qianlong and JiaQing

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. xaznxryux

Would also like to add, before the series starts, I think Roger dies or have to run away at the end. Til this day, the death of GuangXu is still a mystery and the conspiracy theory behind his death is still pretty big. Mainly because he started fighting back against CiXi which resulted in his house arrest and death, with CiXi passing away just a few days after his death. Popular debate was Cixi poisoned him before she dies so power doesn't return to the true heir of the Qing.

I'll be interesting in my opinion

4. amano.ai

amano.ai Well-Known Member

xaznxryux

You seem to love history. I can't say anything about chinese history. Yes...my bad...since I'm chinese...

Did you read books about chinese history ? If I'm right, you're not living in China so you were'nt studying chinese history at school.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. xaznxryux

yea, I live in the states, but I grew up loving history, it's actually my favorite subject growing up. I tried to minor in history in college with a focus in Eastern Asian history. I think I finished like 5 classes by the time I graduated, just a few classes short of a minor. 4 of them were Asian history, China 1-2, Japan 1-2. I am a fan of pre-modern history, so like dynasties and wars and stuff.

Thanks for noticing heh :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Genius! Genius! x 1
  6. this aint bad better than EU

7. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Mom said the story and history in this show was farfetched.

8. amano.ai

amano.ai Well-Known Member

xpletive why did you disagree ? :wot: