The rising price of rice

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by BigC, May 2, 2008.

1. BigC

BigC Well-Known Member

Website: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080425/NEWS07/804250411/1009/NEWS07

I went to the store today to buy some rice it usually costs about $13 to $15 USD, now the price is at $31 USD and the store owner said by the end of the week the price will be $35 USD. -shock

2. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

yeah... its a problem...

btw... anyone that decides to be a smart arse and say there's a shortage of rice and in general, grains... u will get a nice telling off by me... because I'll say it straight up right now... THERE IS NO SHORTAGE...

The US alone farms enough rice/grains every year to feed everyone in the world... hell we burn most of it every year since we can't get rid of most of it...

3. dreyvii

dreyvii Well-Known Member

^You're kidding? To burn the grains is a waste! But I suppose the shortage is in the specialty rice as mentioned. People probably just need to attune their taste buds to the less popular kinds of grains...

4. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

even for rice... the total amount of rice farmed by the world combined cannot possibly be less than the demand of the world... the technology for agriculture is so advanced, we can breed "perfect" rice that withstands diseases that could cause massive crop shortages...

and no... I'm not kidding... farms in the US gets subsidized to "over" farm... and end up burning most of the crop....

5. lovinglyxx

lovinglyxx Well-Known Member

this has been affecting uk like crazzzzzzzy!! in chinese supermarkets they've restricted ppl buying 1/2/3 bages PER person....insane!! i went home for the weekend recently and suddenly saw the stock of rice, i was like huh!? lol.. then realised my parents have been buying a lot of rice incase the prices increase -_-" eek....... wonder how long this is gona last for, not long i hope :( i can't live without my rice hahaa~

6. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

LOL this explains the 4 bags of rice in my garage.. hahahahaha. I was like wtf?? why is there so much rice?!?!

7. Airree

Airree Well-Known Member

haha yeah.. My garage is a maze consisting of walls constructed from bags of rice .. : )

8. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

i just read the title but lol yea this is like plaguing every asian household haha....i mean my relatives even picked up rice at COSTCO...nobody picks up rice from Costco haha....It's pretty crazy, everyone's just seeing the rising prices so they are scared at the shortage. Damn living in US not cool for asians haha...rising gas prices, rising rice prices it's like damn even if you don't go anywhere...your expenses will still rise haha...

9. BigC

BigC Well-Known Member

I wish I had known that the price of rice was going to go up; If I had bought the rice two weeks earlier it would have been $18 usd but buy the end of next week it'll be $34 USD... I wouldn't be surprised if the price of rice goes up to $50 or even $60 USD...

10. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

dude... rice from costco... its a mutated species or something... NUKABLE rice?!? u can nuke rice?!? -fear

11. Phil

Phil 香港 PA 社團 揸Fap 人

lol its like used to be 25 in Aust now its at least 50 =( Darn those Rice Growers ,
    Its Super Inflation

12. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Everythings gone up, especially flour and milk

13. Phil

Phil 香港 PA 社團 揸Fap 人

lol , so we gotta eat less , i reckon in like 1 year, Rice is gunna be $100 a bag

14. don

don ello

time for everybody to stock up on those rice....

15. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Yea, especially with the drought and the farmers that grow along the Murray Darling River. I remember on the news that out of 200 rice farms, only 3 farms actually ahve rice going on them due to a lack of water

16. Phil

Phil 香港 PA 社團 揸Fap 人

wow shit , lol i mean i read somewhere, Even China is running out of Rice and etc, Do u think we're gunna to run out of Rice?

17. dreyvii

dreyvii Well-Known Member

This whole price hike thing reminds me of the increase in crude oil prices...

18. Chibi12

Chibi12 Well-Known Member

i doubt there is a shortage, just a price rise, its the compulsive buying that would prob. cause a shortage, jus think about the amount of rice that will just be in storage, just sitting there cos pple thought they shd buy enough to last them a lifetime!

19. bbes

bbes Incredible

oh ye, i remember this. there are some indians who live on my road and i saw them buy like 8 bags of rice lol. but ye before long the price of rice will go back down. its due to a lot of ppl changing to grow biofuel i think or something which has reduced the amount of rice available so ppl think that rice could be in shortage and then as more ppl buy it knowing the threat, the price of rice rises cause of supply and demand.

20. mingming2006

mingming2006 Well-Known Member

rice is the main food source, all asians cant live without. lols
    without it, dang - a lot of problems