This looks very serious...no more seafood?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BestOffer, Aug 29, 2013.

1. sango

sango Well-Known Member

Probably overexaggerating. Nowadays nothing is healthy anymore.
    I'm not a big seafood fan anyway, fish are friends not food.

-lol

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Nowadays nothing is healthy? Sorry, but what part of radioactive contamination are we missing here? Moreover, we as individuals, don't even need to be seafood "fans" in order to be eventually affected down line in this food chain. We will all eventually eat something that has that radiation in it.

TEPCO just fucked the planet.

3. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

more information

That link may contain mis-information. One comment stated this "Someone Says" : "it is a map of the tsunami wave height, NOT radiation. " ; GDawg Says:"OMG… this is pseudo-science hyperventilation at its worst. ...."
    However it is a problem BBC news report in Sept 2013 - radioactive water had leaked from a storage tank into the ground. The issue seemed to be :"The damage from the tsunami has necessitated the constant pumping of water to cool the reactors." which means 300 tonnes of radioactive water leaking into the Pacific ocean dailyaccording to Guardian newspaper report. 300 tonnes is about 300 metre cubed. However the Pacific Ocean has 707.5 million km cubed of water. I believe fishing close to Fukushima is banned.

4. Supra

Supra Well-Known Member

I heard it was uncontrollable and Japan fails to clean this mess up. They asked for help, yet, they didn't do much with effort. At first, they said it was under control but then came out with a news saying they weren't. What a false hope.

5. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Sorry, but your premise fails to account for the persistent global ocean currents. Moreover, how long will the radiation last? In essence, this is something that scientists have been grappling with ever since we pulled the Nuclear Genie out of the bottle. Radiation from some of these nuke sites, for all intents, will live longer than your grandchildren. So imagine Fukushima, leaking 300 tons each day into the oceans; how much radiation will be in that piece of fish your grandson eats? 300 tons may not sound like much right now, and you may feel safe given that there is a ban on local fishing around Fukushima, but I certainly don't think this is a Chicken Little 'Sky is Falling' exaggeration at all.

6. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Do not tarnish everyone with the same brush. It is very important not to misuse "they" to mean everyone. Many Japanese made extraordinary sacrifices in the disaster and still do. You need to single out a specific named group(s) of people who are accountable and who are decision makers.