Two Men Convicted for Selling ‘Oreo’ Secret to China

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shinobi, Mar 7, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

The conviction of two men for conspiring to sell whitening-chemical trade secrets to China “was a shot heard around the world,” a former federal prosecutor told "Good Morning America."

"This was a very important case for the U.S. government to bring," Stanley L. Friedman said. "It's a message to foreign countries they can't spy on the U.S."

The conviction by a federal jury in San Francisco this week centered on trade secrets at E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., whose headquarters is in Delaware.

DuPont's chloride-route titanium dioxide, or TiO2, is a "valuable" white pigment that has been used in materials such as paints, plastics and paper, the government's indictment states. A similar chemical reportedly is used in the creamy filling of Oreo cookies, but DuPont says its product is not used in food.

The jury found Walter Lian-Heen Liew and Robert Maegerle guilty of conspiring to steal trade secrets from DuPont regarding its titanium dioxide technology and sold those secrets for "large sums of money," allegedly more than $20 million in total, to state-owned companies of the People's Republic of China, the FBI said.

Since DuPont developed the use of the chemical in the 1940s, the company accounts for about one-fifth of all global TiO2 sales, the indictment said. The world's largest producer of TiO2 pigment manufactures it at plants in the United States, Mexico and Taiwan.

Oreo is owned by the Mondelez International, based in Deerfield, Ill., which has not responded to a request for comment.

"The verdict underscores the consequences faced by those who steal trade secrets, and we appreciate the efforts of the DOJ and the FBI," DuPont spokesman Dan Turner said. "DuPont will continue to take aggressive steps to preserve our technological edge, including cooperating with governments and law enforcement agencies around the world."

credits: abc

2. China already have their own Oreo.. only it's yellow..

3. godslayer

godslayer Well-Known Member

and its perfectly fine for the US to spy on everyone else

4. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

Hunt or be hunted.

5. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Anything white, I can say, is at best , no nutrition value, and worst , injurious to health. Why would anyone even pay money for this chemical in food! pon Bleached white floor, white colouring...of no food value at all. I have never come upon natural food that is as white as that Oreo centre. Oreo used to contain hydrogenated fat. No thanks to Oreo , any where ,any day for me.