What Chinese dialect do you speak?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Yong-Shi, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Yong-Shi

Yong-Shi Well-Known Member

As I was browsing through the threads, I notice there seem to be a lot of Cantonese speakers in this forum, a lot of people whose origins are from Hong Kong (including myself as well). But I'm wondering, are there others in this forum who speak Mandarin or any other dialects like Taishanese? And if you speak more than one dialect, which ones? I speak Cantonese and I can speak a little of Mandarin too.

Oh, and here's an additional question too. What part of China are you from? And if you were born overseas (as I think mostly everyone who goes to this forum is), where were your parents/grandparents from? My grandparents are from the Canton Province in China; then they moved to HK and my parents were born there. When my parents were in their preteens, they moved with their parents to the U.S. and that's where I was born! -cool

2. cheungpwnz

cheungpwnz Well-Known Member

I can only speak Cantonese and Mandarin and i understand hakka! My parents are both from Hong Kong, Tai po.

3. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

I speak cantonese, parents speak hakka if they are over in china with family

4. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

well i speak two, cantonese and something if any heard of it chui chow

5. Yong-Shi

Oh geez...I didn't notice there was already a similar thread like this...whoops! sorry...

6. sean222

sean222 Well-Known Member

canto only...oh wellll i should know 3-4 other ones but i was nvr taught it....

7. lovelyxhelen

lovelyxhelen New Member

i speak cantonese and taishanese.

8. zero_c

zero_c Well-Known Member

I speak Cantonese, Taishanese and Mandarin

9. mel0n

mel0n Member

i speak cantonese, never heard of taishanese before. where is that dialect from?

10. Yong-Shi

Taishanese (台山話) is a dialect of Taishan located in the Guangdong province of China. (in Cantonese, it's sounds like "Toisan")

11. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

i speak cantonese and understand another asian language (vietnamese........like half of the conversation)

12. dragonside

dragonside Well-Known Member

i speak cantonese, ahahah i fhaven't spoken chiu chau in such a long time, but i can understand when it's spoken to me.
    lol

13. Nurika

Nurika New Member

I speak cantonese, I wish I knew how to speak mandarin though...D:

14. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

I speak Cantonese, okay Mandarin, and can "hear/recognize" Hokkien (福建話).. XD

15. Petster

Petster Member

I speak cantonese erf i want to learn more languages !!

16. aldy78

aldy78 Member

I speak hakka:)

17. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

i speak canto....rents speak canto to me....but in hak-ka...to grand parents and a few friends....

18. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

i speak fluently in cantonese and mandarin, i dont knw how to speak hakka but kinda understand it lol.

19. asiangang

asiangang Well-Known Member

i was born in Vancouver...and i know how to speak cantonese and a little tiny bit of mandarin...my mom is from Shanghai and my did is from HK..XD

20. pirvee

pirvee Well-Known Member

euhm....canto....born in hk...grandparents from hk, but emigrated somehow to china(just across the border=P)...thus parents are from china...but emigrated to hk....and finally to holland