What do you think about mormons?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by w3ndy, Mar 6, 2005.

1. w3ndy

w3ndy Guest

What is your overall impression of mormons? What do you know about mormons?

2. Moki

Moki Guest

hmmm i had a friend who used to be a morman and they i got invited to bbq, met a few of them and they seem to be ultra friendly. I forgot their philosophy's supposed to be based on some guy's dream that he saw angels or something? i don't find that very creditble.

3. I would have to say I am a little skeptical about all organized religions. It seems like there are always the people who are really genuine and cool about accepting the beliefs of other people and then there are the extreme fundamentalists who take their religion way to serious and eventually miss the point of what it is all about. I recently read a book called
    Under the Banner of Heaven that talks about some fundamentalists mormons who were into polygomy and doing crazy things because "they had a vision from god."

4. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

agreed....i feel the same way about organized religions...well said surfingatmidnight...

5. w3ndy

w3ndy Guest

A concept of mormonism is that polygemy is something practiced by mormons by tthat is entirely besides the point. I totally concurr with the fact that extreme fundamentalist do take their religion a step higher than expected. It's sad that we have people like that. What I hate the most is that these fundamentalist press their beliefs on you and attempt to convert you. They deem thsoe that haven't seen the way are allied with satan or something. Something ----ed up...

6. aichideoando

aichideoando Member

Hm, Mormons are nice personality wise but in terms of religious practices...um one word: weird.

7. 60610

60610 Member

They are annoying... :S

8. AVANT

AVANT Well-Known Member

Ouch! I'm not mormon, but I dated one for 2 years. I would say I have a pretty unique perspective on them as I did learn a lot from her.

I use to always say they are in a bubble. The mormon bubble where they tend to only hang out with other LDS (mormon) members. Their church tries to organize many equivilents to the rest of our social environment. It makes it easier to keep their faith tho as they don't hear from the non-believers as much.

As for the polygemy comment, that's obsurd as it was so long ago. They actually banned that practice long ago and kick anyone out of the church that practices polygemy. They had their reasons for doing it though and it actually makes sense if you know their history and what happened to them.

9. thereset19

thereset19 Member

i think they just want a lot of wives

10. AVANT

AVANT Well-Known Member

I think you're judging them with no basis. Did you even read my last reply?

11. flow78

flow78 Member

They do come off as a bit odd but they're just following what they believe in so there really isn't much else for me to say about them.

12. King_of_Zen

King_of_Zen Member

haha I'm surrounded by them. The nice part is just a act. I admit they do nice things for people, but I feel they force their religion on you if you live in utah. Sometimes in school you feel alienated if you aren't LDS. Thats just a thought. There is nothing wrong with them. I don't mind them if they don't talk about their religion.

13. wongv78

wongv78 Well-Known Member

mor...ons?