What is the official-language of chinese 100 years ago???

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by sean_lueng, May 7, 2007.

1. sean_lueng

sean_lueng New Member

what is the official of Chinese 100 years ago? Mandarin or Cantonese ?

2. Arctic_fire

Arctic_fire Well-Known Member

no idea, but I'm sure it wasnt canto..

3. zylo

zylo Well-Known Member

well theres only 2 mandorin and cantonese the option guess u have a 50% chance of being right

4. aaronk121

aaronk121 New Member

100 hundred years ago was 1907. This was right before the fall of the Manchu Qing Dynasty. I'm not sure if you could say there was an official language, but since the court was based in Beijing, all the highest ranking officials probably spoke mandarin (with some er-hua no doubt!).

5. twinklesstars

twinklesstars Member

the official language in China is Mandarin cause hk and guangdong speak in cantonese and some people in hk and guangdong can speak mandarin.

6. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

100 years ago probably the official language would be closer to Mandarin, since in Qin dynasty the emperor unified the language (burning books and such like).

Having said that, it probably would have been a bit different than modern Mandarin... but still, closer to Mandarin I reckon.

7. ch0ps7ix

ch0ps7ix Well-Known Member

probably mandarin ..... isnt mandarin considered like the officail chinese language??

8. ede559

ede559 Well-Known Member

It was mandarin...mainly because Mandarin was adopted around the 17th century. As mandarin was taught as the mother language...it became the language spoken in China. But still areas in China who speak other languages such as ppl in Ghongzhou speaks Cantonese

9. PhY pHy

PhY pHy Well-Known Member

its totally mando...lol..u see..some japenese
    word sound like chiense..and its mostly mando..
    so it gotta be mando...lol.

10. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

toi saan!!!!!!!!!!

11. pirvee

pirvee Well-Known Member

I believe china didn't have a official spoken language yet in acient times. Only written Chinese was an official language called : Wenyan (anyone here knows this meaning ?)
    Mandarin was the language used by 'officials' of the government, known as mandarins. Everyone in China just spoke their own local dialect. Mayor differences existed between 'northern chinese' languages and 'southern chinese' languages.

Mandarin was introduced(created) by altering the 'mandarins' language and combine it with the local Beijing dialect. There was a mayor language conference in Beijing around 1913 with decided about the national language. So it was decided to base Modern Chinese on the Northern version of the Chinese language (dialect of Beijing area) and was adopted as Official National Language by law in 1932. This introduced the term 'Guoyu' >>=Mandarin as we know it today.

12. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

http://www.lifeofguangzhou.com/node_10/node_22/node_24/node_217/2006/04/04/1144120825920.shtml

13. ch0ps7ix

ch0ps7ix Well-Known Member

some vietnamese words sound similar too at least i think so......

14. mingming2006

mingming2006 Well-Known Member

has 2 b mandarin...

15. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

The official language back then and now is still mandarin. It's just that there are certain parts of china that speak another dialect like cantonese.

16. 101

101 Well-Known Member

#16 101, May 18, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  17. sir_denster

sir_denster Well-Known Member

Interesting enough (and not strictly related to this topic), Cantonese sounds closer and has preserved more sounds from classical Chinese than its counterpart, Mandarin.

18. winterfuyu

winterfuyu Well-Known Member

Most, if not all of the indigenous languages sound closer to classical Chinese than Mandarin.

19. drsnoopy

drsnoopy Well-Known Member

Toisan? I don't think so. Even with the majority of Chinese immigrants coming to Canada and the United States were Toisanese, that wasn't the official language. The official language was mandarin, that's what people were taught in schools, and chose to keep their own dialect from the villages they came from.

20. Kqc84

Kqc84 Well-Known Member

it was mandarin. a real long time ago (like a thousand years ago), i think cantonese was more common though.