What was the big deal about Reagan's death?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by johnnyDANGerous, Jun 22, 2006.

1. johnnyDANGerous

johnnyDANGerous Well-Known Member

I know this is pretty old news, but the subject of debate came up in one of my classes this morning and I just wanted to know what some of you guys think about it.

Things to consider:

grenada
    lebanon
    massive retaliation
    nancy reagan
    cowboy movies
    SDI
    "reaganomics"
    Gorbachev
    airport strikes
    arms race
    Kissinger
    his scandal was it whitewater or something?

What else did I forget?

Basically, I think he is just like Bush.. I don't like him very much and I don't understand what the big deal was about his death. Anyone care to enlighten me?

2. shy

shy Well-Known Member

I don't know what the big deal was with Reagan dying either. We didn't see all the hooplah when president Richard Nixon died.

Anyways, reaganomics... definitely did not work. America did so poorly for the 8 years that Reagan was in office, and then Bush senior took over, and he did just as poor of a job as his predecessor.

It's rare that I criticize republicans, but Reagan and the Bushes... they're just terrible.

3. johnnyDANGerous

johnnyDANGerous Well-Known Member

Are you a Republican/supporter of their policies then?

I don't know much about Reaganomics, so anybody want to give me a quick primer? The Republicans I know at school seem to think it was a wonderful thing, and the Democrats/liberals, quite the opposite...

4. shy

shy Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a supporter of traditional republican views, and what the republicans are doing these days are not in line with traditional republican views. A republican is supposed to be for fiscal responsibility, small government, keeping the government out of people's private business, traditional family values, and a sense of basic morality.

Reaganomics is the idea that if you lower taxes, then more people will work, leading to more income in the economy, and everybody's lives would be better. It didn't work too well. This idea was naive and simplistic as we know that there are many more things that drive the economy other than taxes. It's the whole trickle down thing -- if you lower taxes on higher incomes or capital gains, benefits will trickle down to the rest. It didn't work too well cause it created large budget deficits, so I think it was bogus.

5. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

ronald reagan is american? i thoguht he was canadian prim minister lol

6. suijei

suijei Well-Known Member

the hell...well...I dont' blame you, you're not american (you're not, right?)

7. Lychee

Lychee Well-Known Member

lol Ronald Reagan was the 14th president of the US, honey. :)

Anyhoo, my view on his policies aside (I don't know much about them, but I didn't like what I heard), he is a sort of icon, this figurehead in history. He did so much, be it good or bad, that I was so shocked when I found out.

Well, at least he's no longer suffering. The reports of his health in the past few years before his passing have been horrifying, and nobody deserves that kind of pain. Conservatives don't have a record of good fiscal policy..

I think there was sort of a hoopla over Nixon - I mean, I remember watching the funeral on TV, with all the past presidents there. Now that was a sight. Nixon was probably less in the public profile than Reagan was, I think... He was the first president to deny the Secret Service protection, etc, etc... Reagan had his sickness to deal with, that recent not quite made for TV movie, the books, and more. So that's probably why.

BTW, who voted during the last presidential election? :p

8. blackmagic

blackmagic Well-Known Member

Heh, my parents voted for Bush >.< I think Kerry would've been a much better.

I also heard rumors that Bush had a secret radio telling him what to say during the debates. We had to watch the debates in class. It was such a bore!

9. shy

shy Well-Known Member

They all have earphones that tell them what to say.

I watched the presidential debates cause I like seeing two people clown around. Bush really needs to improve his public speaking skills... even until now he still sucks at giving public speeches. Kerry just bored me to death. But I really liked listening to what they had to say about the current US conditions during the time.

& I honestly don't think Kerry would've been any better suited to be a president than W. All presidential candidates have their own agendas. Kerry presented his agenda quite well, but I think he's a very shady person. He's been senator for 20 years, but he has no real big accomplishments to show for it. Also, one thing that irks me about him is that he is often indecisive... he'll do one thing at one time and take the complete opposite position later on... (i.e. vietnam war, voting in favor of the war on iraq, etc.).

Plus, it's easier said than done when it comes to being president. W. had a fabulous agenda when he was elected. How much of that did he actually put into effect? So what makes you think Kerry would've been more successful? W. has a very seasoned and experienced group in his cabinet, and things are still a mess.

10. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

#10 Nirvania, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  11. Lychee

Lychee Well-Known Member

Shy - So you didn't vote?

Also, do you oppose all Democrats or just John Kerry in general? Just wondering. :)

12. shadow Thi3f

shadow Thi3f Well-Known Member

Here is a very simple answer, good PR. Reagan was able to withstand scandals and criminal convictions of staff members, while still holding on to a high approval rating. Remember one very important thing....Reagan was a former Hollywood actor before he went into office. He was charasmatic and had the skills to be labeled the "Great Communicator". He said the right things even though some of his decisions were questionable.

Ever heard of John D. Rockefeller a oil tycoon during the early 1900's and once the world's richest man? When his coal miner's went on strike, he sent a militia to the Colorado camps where the miner's and their families were living at and had them massacred. Hundreds of miner's and their families including women and children were killed when the militia attacked during their sleep.
    This incident tarnished the Rockefeller name, until the family hired Ivy Lee a public relations person (also known as the father of public relations). Lee changed how the public perceived the Rockefeller family by portraying John D. Rockefeller sr. as a philantropist. For the first time cameras were allowed into the Rockefeller home. The Rockefeller's donated millions to charities and appeared in many charity events. The public were able to see that the Rockefeller's were more than just the monsters that ordered the massacre. Look in the history books. Not much is said about Rockefeller's involvement in the Colorado coal mine massacre. Now that is good Public Relations.

Same could be said about California Governor, Mr. Terminatior himself. He made a big mess, but due to his charasmatic nature he has a good chance of being re-elected.

#12 shadow Thi3f, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  13. ahhamah

ahhamah Well-Known Member

You guys are comparing apples with oranges here. Reagon first of all is known to have defeated the "Cold War" and ending in during his reign. In terms of reaganomics...I don't know much about it, but it obviously worked to some extent because the economy did not decline (if it did we would not have defeated Soviet Union). Its just annoying to see people look down on republican politicians just because they are republicans. Please look at their policies and completion of their promises over the media (EXTREMELY biased...). Thank you come again -rockon

14. ahhamah

Big mess?!?! He stepped into the mess...he's attempting to clean the crap now.

15. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

lol i seriously never even heard of his name (i'm live in Canada so i have no clue whatsoever abt US) some background info would been nice

16. ahhamah

Wikipedia him....I've never heard of any Canadian Presidents actually...